high rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high rpms

ok, so after tearing apart my carbs completely, resetting the float height to factory, going back to the airbox, and putting the stock exhaust on, she revs great. but now the idle stays high. if i rev up, it stays wherever i rev it to. anyone have any ideas as to why?
    Last edited by Shockman54; 07-09-2012, 08:42 PM.
    1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
    progress thus far...
    http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0202.jpg

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

Yep, they need VACUUM synchronizing, not just bench synching!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

thanks, much appreciated. i just wanted to make sure that it wasn't anything broken
      1979 xs special, just finished the top end rebuild and then i still have lots of work.
      progress thus far...
      http://s1268.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMAG0202.jpg

"If it runs bad, it's usually the carbs. If the tires go flat, I suspect the carbs. If the wind blows the bike over, the carbs were probably to blame. If my wife yells at me about something, I tell her to talk to the carbs" -Incubus

Comment

A hanging idle like that is caused not only by out of sync carbs but also a lean running condition.

Open up your idle mix screws to 2.5-3 turns and start syncing and adjusting from there.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

My mechanic (I say 'my' because I've paid him so much money I must own him) insisted that bench synchronising was by far the superior over vacuum synching on the bike. He told me you only do it on the bike if you don't have the time or inclination to take the carbs off the bike. Now that he's re built my carbies using kits from Georgefix, I have a similar problem. Throttle response is excellent, however, backing off is very slow, the revs come down but very slowly. Looks like it's time to break out my new synch tool.

Dan.
          Automotive Imbecile.
          Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
          '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
          1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stralya View Post
            My mechanic (I say 'my' because I've paid him so much money I must own him) insisted that bench synchronising was by far the superior over vacuum synching on the bike. He told me you only do it on the bike if you don't have the time or inclination to take the carbs off the bike...
            Time to find another mechanic... There's no way to properly sync the carbs off the bike, period.
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Dan, do not feel to bad, your mechanic has been listening to way to many "experts" that have no real clue. But I would start paying him alot less, like no more of your money. It is amazing how often I see or hear folks say to bench synch the carbs and you will be fine.

Bench sync is simply setting all the butterflys to the exact same opening. takes no account for engine compression changes from cylinder to cylinder, or carb performance changes from carb to carb, or any other differences in actual operation. The running sync addresses the reality of life that no matter what you do each cylinder is goign to perform a little differently. And so you adjust the butterfly plate opening to equal out the performance in running idle condition. relying solely on the bench sync would be the equivalent to setting your mixture screws to three turns out on each carb and calling it tuned. Preset them correctly and no need to ever adjust, they will be perfectly tuned.

So, if your plan is to let your carbies sit on the bench and look pretty, the bench sync is the right tool and perfect for you. However, if you plan to put them on the bike and run it, you will want them synched under running conditions.
              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
              93 GSX600F
              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
              81 XS1100 Special
              81 CB750 C
              80 CB750 C
              78 XS750

Comment

Dan in the relm of mechanics there are two extreems and to the top I assign the title of being a GURU and the bottom GOOBERROO. Goober being tied to the mechanic in Maybery on the Andy Griffith show years ago and (OO) the sound you make everytime you pay him to work on it.

To say that mechanical sync is superior to vacume sync in running operation is a Gooberoo statement.

To you I suggest another mechanic or you can bohica (bend over here it comes again) till your bike is Fubar (F*%$ed up beyond all repair).

For your condition I would check to make sure that the carbs are bolted down tight and no vacume leak. The engine reving high like that tells me its getting too much air from somewhere and for the idle speed to increase id look for vacume problems first. Check the sync then adjust the idle mix and resync carbs.

However if that does not get it straight then other things in the carbs may off.
                To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                1980 G Silverbird
                Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                1198 Overbore kit
                Grizzly 660 ACCT
                Barnett Clutch Springs
                R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                122.5 Main Jets
                ACCT Mod
                Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                Antivibe Bar ends
                Rear trunk add-on
                http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                  A hanging idle like that is caused not only by out of sync carbs but also a lean running condition.

Open up your idle mix screws to 2.5-3 turns and start syncing and adjusting from there.
                  I dont want to derail the thread but is that for all XSs or just his 79? My Haynes says 1.25 turns out. Wonder if thats why I was having high idle after synch too.
                  Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                  Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                  Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                  Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                  Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                  K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                  81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Originally posted by Tat2demon View Post
                    I dont want to derail the thread but is that for all XSs or just his 79? My Haynes says 1.25 turns out. Wonder if thats why I was having high idle after synch too.
                    it applies to all internal combustion engines. Personally I feel that starting it at about 2.5 turns out on these carbs is closer to what they need.
                    Nathan
                    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                    K&N Filter
                    OEM Exhaust
                    ATK Fork Brace
                    LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                    SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Wow I was way off then. Back to the garage tonight when it cools off.
                      Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
                      Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
                      Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
                      Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
                      Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
                      K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
                      81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

The 1.25 number is correct for the early carbs, the late carbs need more turn out....

'78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                          The 1.25 number is correct for the early carbs, the late carbs need more turn out....
                          Mine is waaayy to lean at 1.25
                          Nathan
                          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                          K&N Filter
                          OEM Exhaust
                          ATK Fork Brace
                          LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                          SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

What's a 'turn'? Is it a full 360 degree turn or 180? And what screw do I turn anyway? I've got the synchroniser on the bike and I'm turning the idle mixture screw but nothings happening. I turned what I thought was the idle speed screw and the bike revved it's head off and the gauge went off the scale. I can only see three of these though. Is there a step by step procedure for idiots?

Dan,
                            Idiot.
                            Automotive Imbecile.
                            Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                            '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                            1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nwP6...eature=related

The idle mixture screws are on each carb. The sync screws are located between the carbs on the linkage, but there's only three of those. On the XS, carb three is the one you sync all the others to. Generally, you'll sync 4 to 3 and 1 to 2, then sync 1/2 to 3/4. After you do a initial sync, you can then go back and adjust each idle screw to the highest vacuum reading, then do your final sync.

'82 XJ rebuild project
                              '79F parts...
                              '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                              '86 XL883/1200 Chopper

Comment

Working...
                              X