Need new regulator/rectifier unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new regulator/rectifier unit

Hi Guys my reg/rect unit failed the test described in the manual and my tach doesn't work and the charging thing isn't happening so I'm in the market for regulators. Thought read somwhere someone had some updated improved ones? Can't find it again, though.

Originally posted by RED1978 View Post
    Hi Guys my reg/rect unit failed the test described in the manual and my tach doesn't work and the charging thing isn't happening so I'm in the market for regulators. Thought read somwhere someone had some updated improved ones? Can't find it again, though.
    member Geezer out in the PNW find Oregon Motorcycle Parts and has a better reg/rec unit.

http://www.oregonmotorcycleparts.com/
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

The Geezer unit is excellent. I bought one. Well worth the money and it gives full charging at much lower revs. A great piece of kit!
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

If you're interested in a DIY setup with off the shelf parts, I can look up some links I used for my setup and what I changed.

I'm using a generic off the shelf regulator for a car and 2 bridge rectifiers. I've been running it for a while now with no problems (and no dead battery!).

If you want to keep it closest to stock and easy plug and play, geezer is definitely the way to go. I went with my setup for two reasons: 1. Maintainability - easy to find parts when on the road 2. To gain a better understanding of how all this works instead of a black box solution.
        82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
        Website/Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Prothec View Post
          If you're interested in a DIY setup with off the shelf parts, I can look up some links I used for my setup and what I changed.

I'm using a generic off the shelf regulator for a car and 2 bridge rectifiers. I've been running it for a while now with no problems (and no dead battery!).

If you want to keep it closest to stock and easy plug and play, geezer is definitely the way to go. I went with my setup for two reasons: 1. Maintainability - easy to find parts when on the road 2. To gain a better understanding of how all this works instead of a black box solution.
          I would love to see it!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Agree

Posting a DIY guide here may help someone on the road who needs an emergency fix with no OEM part source.

John
            John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
            '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
            Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I will locate the original links I found previously and post exactly what parts I used and how I wired it up. I ended up buying a small aluminum enclosure and thermal epoxy for the rectifiers that I put behind the battery box and was able to fit the regulator under the tank.

I did this on my XJ with some help from crazy steve in this thread:
              http://xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35878

It has been about 3 months with no problems. I have yet to mount a voltmeter, but every time I've checked voltage at idle and revved, I haven't seen any problems.

I also wired up all of the rectifiers thanks to some assistance from a friend who pointed out how to get the most out of the radio shack bridge rectifiers.

The forum where I found the original information has two different scenarios, one for the XJ650 charging system and the other for the earlier '78 XS650, which should translate to the XS11 charging system. I plan on doing this for my XS as well once I get to that point in my rebuild.

I should be able to get all of the info together tomorrow evening.
              82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
              Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
              X