Renting a Colortune?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renting a Colortune?

I know they're not THAT expensive but when you have a new baby your finances are locked down pretty tight. Eventually I want to buy my own Colortune (and a nice set of carb sync gauges) but right now it's money I don't want to spend on a tool I'll use 15 minutes then put up and not use for a while. Is there any member that would consider renting me one? I could PayPal a $50 deposit (or whatever if fair) and pay for shipping. Shipping could be pretty cheap if it will fit in one of those Priority Mail boxes, not the flat rate unless it's heavier than I'm guess, and I would pay it both ways. So yeah I'd still have the shipping costs to spend but $12-13 vs $65+ right now is $50 I'd have in my pocket. If no one is interested I may keep checking eBay and maybe I'll find a cheap used one for like $25.
    1979 Special with 1980 motor and 1979 carbs

Sounds like alot of drama when setting idle mix can better be done with your ears/vacuum gauge......
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Lol yeah I agree but trust me I tried tuning by ear and either I am doing it wrong or something is wrong with my carbs. I printed off the directions to tune by ear and it seemed like I either didn't make a difference or it was worse than when I started. Any tips.

Comment

Get some vac gauges and set the idle screw to the highest vacuum on each cylinder and then resync after each cylinder.

Colortune is over rated in my opinion.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

i have one, pm me your address, keep your deposit and remember to mail it back to me

i have tried it both ways. Mine is running well but not sure how i got it there.
          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
          1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
            Get some vac gauges and set the idle screw to the highest vacuum on each cylinder and then resync after each cylinder.

Colortune is over rated in my opinion.
            +1 on that.... A lot of money for a limited gain if any...
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
              +1 on that.... A lot of money for a limited gain if any...
              -1 on that.

AFAIK, it's the ONLY way to get a proper tuning done. Without it, there would be no way for me to properly tune my carbs without checking the plugs and re-adjusting (which requires removing the tank) over and over again. By the time I finally got it tuned, it would be time to re-clean my carbs again!
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
              -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                -1 on that.

AFAIK, it's the ONLY way to get a proper tuning done.
                Well, just goes to show we dont all know everything, because there are better ways.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

bug,

your carbs are either way out of spec jet and float-wise or they're just badly assembled. been tuning carbs for 40+ yrs and by ear gets 'em real close. By vac gauge & external tach gets 'em tighter than a clam's a$$.

Now, if you're dyno-tuning for racing or whatever, colortune MAY be the ticket, by really, how many of us are doing THAT?
                  Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Do you use the vacuum port on the carb manifold to accomplish this?
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                      bug,

your carbs are either way out of spec jet and float-wise or they're just badly assembled. been tuning carbs for 40+ yrs and by ear gets 'em real close. By vac gauge & external tach gets 'em tighter than a clam's a$$.

Now, if you're dyno-tuning for racing or whatever, colortune MAY be the ticket, by really, how many of us are doing THAT?
                      That's just it, "By ear" means absolutely nothing to me. That method may as well not exist at all. The only thing I can hear is when I turn the screws all the way in, and the engine starts to sputter because of it. When 1/16th of a turn makes a difference in tuning, there is no way that I can hear that in the engine. A vacuum gauge has nothing to do with the fuel/air mixture, but I keep my carbtune attached for sync purposes while colortuning.
                      1980 XS850SG - Sold
                      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                        A vacuum gauge has nothing to do with the fuel/air mixture, but I keep my carbtune attached for sync purposes while colortuning.
                        A confirmation of what you stated Davinci............
                        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          A confirmation of what you stated Davinci............
                          Care to elaborate? I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                            i have one, pm me your address, keep your deposit and remember to mail it back to me

i have tried it both ways. Mine is running well but not sure how i got it there.
                            Thanks again!

I have tried tuning mine by ear and either my carbs have other problems or I just don't have the ear or patience for it. Sometimes I could see the tach drop and rise when turning the screw in but then I'd either doubt myself or would end up going in circles and getting aggravated and give up.

dpotter58 is letting me borrow a carbtune as well which is great because when I rebuilt the carbs I just bench sync'd it with a paperclip just hoping it would be good enough to get riding. With a good sync tool and a colortune I should be able to really do some fine tuning. I've own a few older bikes and a few newer bikes and I always join a message forum for that model bike to get help or to share pictures/stories. The older bikes may require much more repair and maintenance but the type of people who own older, especially unique bikes, are so much more helpful. Maybe because the members are usually older and wiser but this site has been a great resource and without it I'd still be stuck where I was when I got the bike last year: a bike that barely ran and no idea about all the little tricks and common issues with a bike.

Comment

Working...
                            X