Model id help Rookie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model id help Rookie?

Hi Guy's.Hello from across the pond IRELAND i'm new to this forum not to bikes. i have a friend who has an XS1100 laying in his garage for a few years now, and only recently i had a look at her. Question is should he restore her,(he's not sure) she is a real early one i think? round headlight and indicators/ clocks (xs special?) matching no's 000421 build date 7/79 and not in bad shape. any thoughts questions or info would be appreciated.

Sounds like she could be either a 79 or 80 Special - but I'm only familiar with US models.
    1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
    1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
    http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

Hi Snow she is a USA model i got the info of the headstock compliance sticker which i think are only on usa models i'm comparing this with the kawasaki Z1 usa models had the id sticker European ones didn't

Comment

Serial Numbers

Davy, go down the left side of this page, click on Specifications. Next page up click on the thread on serial numbers. From there you should be able to identify exactly what year and model you are trying to identify.
        Ken/Sooke
        78E Ratbyk
        82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

Hi Ratbyk thank's, acording to the serial numbers year model she is an 1980 sg 3J6- 000421. is she worth restoring, what kind of money will a restored one fetch?.

Comment

Restoration

Davy, it is my belief that none of these bikes are worth restoring if resale for a profit is your motivation. The only reason most of us spend time and money fixing up these 22 to 26 year old motorcycles is for our own enjoyment. The enjoyment comes from the pleasure and pride in making these old bikes run right again and to feel the power that they are capable of. The amount of time and money that each of us put into them varies greatly. Dependent on each our own capabilities and how much disposable coin we might have at any given time.
            In my case I get most of my enjoyment out of a successful rejuvenation. After making Ratbyk look and run right I moved on to an 1982 Honda FT500 Ascot 500 cc single. I have it running and looking right and now have moved onto a 1969 OMC 15.5' boat with a 1970 40HP Evinrude on the back.
            I still have and use and continue to maintain my XS and Ascot. I will likely continue to own and use them as long as parts are available and I'm capable of using them. After I can no longer take them out and giving them a good wringing out would I be willing to sell them.
            Ken/Sooke
            82 FT500 "lilRat"

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--what a ride"

Comment

Hi Ratbyk thanks for your imput. i do know where you are comming from, i have few bikes that i'm in the middle of restoring A 72 Z1 900 and a 76 kz 900 i also have a 73 Z1 900 and a Honda Blackbird which i use to toure Europe every year. it's just that some bikes are not really worth the hassel of restoring money wise. i have told my friend that he should just enjoy it as it is. he is only thinking about maybe spending so much money restoring it to find out it's only worth half of what he spent to restore it. Ride safe and be good !!!!!! Davy.

Comment

I agree with Ratbyk. Your chances of making money after working on this bike are not great. unless: You can do most of the labor yourself, you have a good source of spare parts at little cost, how good a condition it must be in to sell it, and there is a good market for old bikes in your part of the world.

For any bike that is sitting a while (read "What to look for in a used XS" in the Tips pages) you will need to look at several items at a minimum:

Tires, battery, brake fluid, brake pads, often master cylinder rebuilds, carb cleaning, tank cleaning, new fuel lines, air filter, and new fuse block. In the case of the XS/XJ a small number of bikes suffer from a common tranmission problem where the bike 'skips', usually under hard acceleration in 2nd gear.

In US dollars, most bikes will need $500.00 and up in parts and pieces to get a reliable, road-going bike. Here in the US, a good-running XS or XJ can be had fairly regularly for $1,000.00 - $1,200.00 or less, although a few really nice ones will go for more. Most of on this list paid less than $1,000.00, but we may not be typical of the general market. I paid $650.00 for my '82 XJ in 1999, and it was in rideable condition. It was a fairly typical price for the time.

The 'What is it worth" question always raises mixed responses. It would be best if you could check any local sources of information, such as other owners, dealers, and advertising.

Personally I always like to see and XS or XJ fixed up and put back on the road, but generally there is not a lot of money to be made unless the bike needs very little work and you are in a strong market area.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Hi Jerry. thanks for all your good advice. i'll pass on this address to my friend maybe you's can put him in the right track for some parts/help Davy

Comment

Working...
                  X