Oil light is ON

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil light is ON

I have a 79SF and the oil light is on. my brake light is shorted and stays on too. the kill switch doesnt do anything.. I have unplugged the brake switch, unplugged the tail light, I have swapped the oil pressure switch with a good one. I am going to try jumping blue and blue/yellow at the LCU. the manual says i need to take the engine out of the frame to replace the oil pump? is this true? before i drop the pan to see if the pick up screen is clogged, I want to rule out other things. I dont feel comfortable running it with the light on. I changed the oil yesterday the light was on before that. when i got the bike a few months ago...there was smoke out the left side. compression was 170 120 170 170 then yesterday i had 170 across the board( i dont know why.) swapped with good carbs and still had smoke. #2 carb had a sunk float. i replaced float and cleaned carbs and ran sea foam and marvel mystery oil thru engine. and the smoke has gone away. it still runs like crap but i dont want to mess with it until i know i have oil pressure. and why the oil light is on. thanks for listening.
    Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
    1979 XS 1100 SF

thanks to a previous post from bikerphil i have unplugged the LCU and plugged it back in and the light now goes out when you start the bike. so i guess i will move on to valve adj ? although the compression is very good so maybe sync carbs replace plugs..... thanks to TC for the seafoam and MMO idea, perhaps i had a stuck ring.....
    Steven

1981 XS 1100 LH
    1979 XS 1100 SF

Comment

Yep, that Light Checker unit is a "79 Special only" thing and will lead one to think that their engine has lost oil pressure. Glad you got it solved, I would hate to see someone go and replace their oil pump all because of this.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
      X