Oil cooler install help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil cooler install help...

so im installing an oil cooler, i got the adapter plate installed, but when i installed the filter housing, i cant tighten the filter bolt anymore, but it seems the filter housing is not quite snug to the adapter plate...i used the spring and a washer ( washer to protect the rubber on the filter ) under the filter, should i not use that?
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

You need that washer so leave it there.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Is it a genuine Yamaha adapter plate or an aftermarket one?

^ This is what the Yamaha adapter and bolt look like.

Check your reassembly against this diagram to make sure you haven't got anything in the wrong order.

Should be no problems using the spring and washer under the filter
      79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
      Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
      *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
      *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Ah, I was wondering if there was an extra adaptor bolt or not.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

i believe its aftermarket...i got a lockhart kit from a member on this site and it came with everything...it appears that i got everything in the right order...the adapter plate with oring, then the adapter plate bolt with washer, the the filter housing with filter, then washer then spring, then filter housing and bolt....
          79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
          Moto Militia MC

Comment

Also just make sure that the filter isn't being pulled completely to the bottom of the housing by the filter bolt. I had an aftermarket filter that had a smaller than usual inner rubber seal. As it tightened up the bolt, the filter sqeezed down on it till it couldn't be tightened anymore, making the whole housing want to turn, which it couldn't. If that's what's happening, unscrew the filter from the bolt till it's sitting just above flush with the top of the housing, then wind the housing (complete with bolt) up till it hits the stops on the cases, then do the filter bolt up with your spanner.
            That's if that is the problem, mate. If not, I'm afraid I'm out of answers.
            Being a Lockhart unit, there may be other issues to have to deal with which other owners will be able to sort you out with.
            Last edited by Eveready1100; 07-07-2012, 08:56 AM.
            79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
            Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
            *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
            *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Does the oil cooler interfere with the center stand or anything?

Thanks,

Doug
              1995 KZ100P
              Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
              Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Originally posted by Aches n Pains View Post
                Does the oil cooler interfere with the center stand or anything?

Thanks,

Doug
                Nope, it is no where near the center stand.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                X