Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip length

Hi everybody!

Planning on replacing my cheesy plastic / foam / chrome grips with some metal / leather ones...

Got the 7/8" part down, and even found a set that I like, but I was wondering...

What is the length that I am looking for?

Is there a way to convert to fit 1" dia without changing bars?

Either millimeters or inches is fine for an answer... I just dont want floppy ends...

Thanks.
    '80 XS1100 SG <== now parting post 45mph wreck

'79 Jeep CJ7, my other lover and drain of cash...

Hey there Sam,

The stock grips are about 4 3/4" to 5" long. The grips are designed to very snugly/barely slide onto the bars to provide a secure fitting so they won't pull off!!! There are plenty of grips in the 7/8" diam size available from many sources. If you got the longer length, you would just need to move the mirror and controls clamps further up the bars to make room for the longer grips! However, with the throttle, that is a plastic sleeve that fits over the bars, and so a longer grip may not work or look right if it hangs beyond the end of the plastic twist grip sleeve. And, since that is larger than the actual bar, they make the grips with actually different ID's to fit over the throttle section vs. the left hand side which is just on the plain bar!!

About the only way to increase the bars to 1" would be to put some layers around it like Duct Tape, or Electrical tape!! But again, concern for fitting on the throttle sleeve comes into play again! Good luck.

Get a grip, will ya!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Installing

A hint to install, very hard to get on but i found if you spray them with hair spray and slide them on before it dries they go on eazy, the hair spray then drys and locks them on so they wont slip, HTH.......MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Thanks guys.

Grip taken, TopCat. How's P-Town?... I kinda miss that area...

Comment

Re: Installing

Originally posted by mitch
          A hint to install, very hard to get on but i found if you spray them with hair spray and slide them on before it dries they go on eazy, the hair spray then drys and locks them on so they wont slip, HTH.......MITCH
          I use this method as well. The 1" grips are for Harley's, they are the only bike with 1" bars. No way to convert but the 7/8 are available in all styles and sizes.
          Gary Granger
          Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
          2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Okay, so hairspray to put them on...

any tricks for removal of old ones?

Comment

Razor blade always worked for me. Just be careful on the throttle.

Comment

Originally posted by sam_cg_cook
                Okay, so hairspray to put them on...

any tricks for removal of old ones?
                ]

If they are the stock rubber type just stick an air hose in the hole in the end and poof they are off!
                Gary Granger

Comment

Gary, do you have a target on your garage door for your grip cannon?

Originally posted by sixtysix
                  ]

If they are the stock rubber type just stick an air hose in the hole in the end and poof they are off!
                  Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Of course if you don't have a compressor handy, then a thin screwdriver slid down the inside to allow a spritz of WD-40 or such can help get them slippery. You want to push them off from the thick upper bar part, cause if you pull on the tip ends, they just stretch and squeeze the bar tighter like those stupid little chinese finger traps!!!

P-town is still small, Sam. There's been talk about merging it with Suffolk/Cheasapeake......Norfolk bowed out!! We've actually gotten some snow this winter. Been very raining and wet these past few months! And Hurricane Isabel was a blast!!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by skids
                      Gary, do you have a target on your garage door for your grip cannon?

Well no but try it. It does work, got the tip from someplace and it works!!
                      Gary Granger

Comment

Working...
                      X