mac installation help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mac installation help

with warm weather forecasted for the end of this week, i am trying to get the xj's transmission project wrapped up. i'm down to the carbs and the pipes. i started installing my new mac 4 into 1 tonight. i ran into a few snags and have a few questions for those with the mac system since there was no instructions what so ever in the box.

1. how tight should the bolts be holding on the headers? i don't want to overtighten them and snap a stud. i couldn't find a torque recomendation in the xj service manual.

2. should the brackets be snug agianst each cyclinder opening? i currently have a little space but the pipes line up on the crush gaskets and are rigid.

3 when installing the slip on it has three brackets 1 short and 2 of medium length. if i use the smallest one it will put it about 1 inch below the factory muffler mount. this puts the edge of the pipe awfully close to the read axle. is it designed to pretty much mount the slip on however you want it? it looked good to me lower and stretched where the end of the pipe was close to the edge of the rear tire.

4. i'll be amazed if the center stand still operates as claimed. the pipe looks like it goes right through the middle of it.

maybe i'll have a hard enough time with the pipes and the carbs will slip right in. wishful thinking anyway!

The exhaust flange bolts torque is 14.5 ft/lbs found in the fuel and exhaust section, not in the engine section of torques!!

There should be a gap between the flange and the head, this allows room to compress the crush gaskets.

I have 4-1 set of pipes and it goes thru the center stand, the pipes came with a long stop bracket to bolt onto the left side of the frame that stops the center stand at a certain point in it's swept up position!!

Like you said, different slip on adapters for different looks, like fitting around saddlebags and such!! Whatever looks good to you!! The further back/up the ends are the less likely to scrape them on a tight turn!! BTDT!!!

T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

brackets

thanks, that explains those other brackets. now i know i need to use the shorter one to bolt on to the original holder. i was worried about rubbing the back of the pipe on the axle shaft but think when i snug the bolts it will pull it far enough away. the center stand was another worry. i have gotten used to it and didn't want to have to remove it. i will wrassle with it again tonight, and i thought i was through crawling around on the floor.

Comment

Working...
      X