Finally found myself a 1978 XS1100E!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally found myself a 1978 XS1100E!

Patience pays off and thanks to this fabulous forum I am now the proud owner of what I feel is one of the cleanest original examples of the bike I have been searching for for years!

Several months ago a wonderful gentleman by the name of David A. from Michigan responded to my want ad here and simply said "I might have what you're looking for"

Well, that was an understatement. After some freindly conversation and dozens of pictures we began negotiations on an XS11 that David had owned since day 1.

In amazing condition with only 3,364 original miles (that's not a typo!) I made payment and arranged for the wonderful folks at JC Motors to transport this rare beast to me here in Winnipeg.

Lucky for me an old friend who operates a repair shop here is possibly the best XS11 mechanic in the country agreed (with a huge smile) to awaken it from its nearly 20 year slumber.

I found some very old stale gas in the tank and it flushed clean as new (I think there was stablizer in it but still, it was a gooey, smelly mess and happily my clean-up left the insides in perfect condition) Petcocks are being rebuilt and the tank will be the last thing to go on it. A tiny bit of corrosion formed below the fuel catch pan but I'm cleaning it up and having a master painter do that small touch-up.

Gord yanked the carbs and cleaned them to new condition. We added an Odyssey style battery, gave the engine and tranny fresh oil and plugs and it fired up instantly. Oh my, does it sound sweet!

New fork seals and rebuilds of the master cylinders are being performed as I type and new period correct Dunlops are going on as soon as they arrive.

Not a spot of rust and virtually scratch free this bike is a true rare find.

I will post some pictures as soon as it is complete and share my good fortune with the group.

While there is no doubt some unridden examples squirreled away somewhere (I'm sure there may even be one or two still in the crate being hoarded by some obessisive collectors but this one is living, breathing and all mine.

David included the owners manual and a Yamaha shop manual in mint condition, spare oil and air filters and even a new spare headlight assy which he bought "just because" Complete tool kit and the seat is as supple as the day it drove off the showroom floor. No sun fade, never dropped... Perfect!

Patience pays as I have been on the hunt for 20+ years and could not be happier.

Wayne
    Last edited by 300kph; 07-04-2012, 09:33 PM.
    Wayne in Winnipeg

1978 Yamaha XS 1100E
    1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R
    1979 Kawasaki KZ1000 MKII
    1979 Honda CBX
    1980 Suzuki GS1100E

Forum moderator... when can I post pictures?

Do I need to have more posts under my belt?

W
    Wayne in Winnipeg

1978 Yamaha XS 1100E
    1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R
    1979 Honda CBX
    1980 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Photobucket

Wayne,

You need a hosting service such as Photobucket or Picasa and can link to that URL and embed the pics in your posts. Search for how to post pics if I am not being clear.

In the post editor there is a small yellow icon looks like a postcard ... Click on it and paste hosting service's image url there.

Glad you finally made it!

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Try http://www.photobucket.com

I use that to post pix in any threads etc here. It always works fine and is easy to use.....
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Tutorial

Here is a tutorial.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25233

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Forum moderator... when can I post pictures?

As soon as possible....
            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
            '82 XJ rebuild project
            '80SG restified, red SOLD
            '79F parts...
            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

1978 xs11e

One of the first pics from the seller (I was pretty excited) A little dusty but one look and I knew I had found my bike.

Even more excited to finally pick it up and bring it home from the US drop just across the border in N. Dakota (Dave put the carrier on it to aid in transport... I have since taken it off)

The actual mileage

W
              Last edited by 300kph; 07-05-2012, 12:44 AM.
              Wayne in Winnipeg

1978 Yamaha XS 1100E
              1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R
              1979 Honda CBX
              1980 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Wew, That's nice. Lucky, lucky, lucky.
                79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                79 DT 100

Comment

Amazing! What a beauty! I am totally green with envy. You are very lucky to get a bike like that and with so few miles on the clock! That's my favourite US model.

I know what it would cost here in the UK. Please don't tell me what you paid, as I know my envy may become terminal.
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

VERY NICE! Now just don't tell me you paid $350 or I'll slit my wrists.
                    1995 KZ100P
                    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

No, it wasn't cheap but after the shipping, the import duty and taxes, the parts and labor required I'll be into it for a little more than what the bike retailed for new in 78.

And bear in mind that is not converted to today's money.

$5,000 in 1978 money is at least $15K in today's money... Mabye $20K so to be into it for around $6K in my opinion is a bargain.

A new in the crate 1979 standard sold in Britian for about $12K 6 years ago and I thought that was a steal. A 78 would have no doubt been worth more.

Conversely, an "as new" 1979 Kawasaki MKII with 2,300 miles on it sold for $19K US early this spring.

The Eleven might not have the collectibility of other older Japanese bikes but it has its place in motorcycling history.

All moot as I don't buy to speculate on value or to re-sell. Every bike I own I ride and have no plans to sell.
                      W
                      Wayne in Winnipeg

1978 Yamaha XS 1100E
                      1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R
                      1979 Honda CBX
                      1980 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

List price on the '78 was $2989 (in the US) when new...

That is a beauty... a wash/wax and it's 1978 again...

How early is the serial number?
                        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                        '82 XJ rebuild project
                        '80SG restified, red SOLD
                        '79F parts...
                        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

The price is directly related to the joy it gives you and I know it would really make me happy! Your wife, on the other hand, may not be able to understand that.
                          79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                          80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                          80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                          79 DT 100

Comment

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                            The price is directly related to the joy it gives you and I know it would really make me happy! Your wife, on the other hand, may not be able to understand that.
                            That's why I'm single!

The bike retailed for $4,399 in Canada if memory serves.

Will post the S/N soon.

W
                            Wayne in Winnipeg

1978 Yamaha XS 1100E
                            1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R
                            1979 Honda CBX
                            1980 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Another pic...

The rack has since been taken off...

Rebuilding the petcocks and master cyls.

be done next week.

Wayne in Winnipeg

1978 Yamaha XS 1100E
                              1978 Kawasaki KZ1000 Z1R
                              1979 Honda CBX
                              1980 Suzuki GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X