No announcement yet.

I went mad (madder?) and bought these.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stock system on my '79 F has the collector boxes... I could be wrong but believe all the XS11's had them.
    '79 XS11 F
    Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
    Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
    GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Well even if they all had collector boxes, cross pipes are good enough and one system should fit all if it's made correctly.

Dan.
      Automotive Imbecile.
      Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
      '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
      1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by WMarshy View Post
        The stock system on my '79 F has the collector boxes... I could be wrong but believe all the XS11's had them.
        Only the '78-80 standards had the 'boxes'; all the rest have a simple pipe crossover.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I could be wrong but shipping costs to and fro australia are not that cheap for something that heavy. But it would be nice if they could make them.
          XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
          MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
          Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
          Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
          Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
          Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

That's true, but I was prepared to pay shipping from Germany had that system been 'plug and play'. Those who need an as close to possible stock system wont mind an extra hundred or two to get them there.

Dan.
            Automotive Imbecile.
            1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mathh View Post
              Anyone still interested in these might want to know you can buy these directly from the producer in Germany. And considerably cheaper than from "der Müde". The guy who builds these always mentions that he needs the bike to get the system to fit properly (to avoid the problems James encountered). Stainless always warps when welded.
              I contacted him direct and was told it would take 4 months to produce a system. He didn't mention needing the bike though. I wasn't prepared to wait that long anyway and saw that Der Muede had a system. Like I said, it was OK but I don't think it's made on a jig. It should be really.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                I contacted him direct and was told it would take 4 months to produce a system.
                Ok, but the price difference is substantial.

Originally posted by James England View Post
                Like I said, it was OK but I don't think it's made on a jig. It should be really.
                yup, you're right, no jig. And yup, it should be really. But the guy isn't doing it for a living, just trying to help felllow XS riders.
                Who modified your system?

Comment

Ok, but the price difference is substantial.

yup, you're right, no jig. And yup, it should be really. But the guy isn't doing it for a living, just trying to help felllow XS riders.
                  Who modified your system?
                  It's expensive help at £1050 then. At that price, he must be making something out of it. Or someone is somewhere. I had a 4 into 2 stainless made here in the UK that cost £540. In this pic:

I wanted bevels on the end of the silencers though and this system didn't have them. I thought I'd try the 'replica' system from Germany but, like I said, it's not really a replica and needed a lot of modification. It also cost twice what the UK system cost. I wouldn't buy another one unless the standard of manufacture could be improved.

I had mine modified by a local stainless exhaust system manufacturer. He mainly does cars and couldn't bend header pipes without leaving tooling marks.
                  Last edited by James England; 07-08-2012, 09:08 AM.
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I don't agree. No aftermarket system I know comes in the neighbourhood of a stock XS system when you look at torque AND horsepower AND fuel consumption AND sheer looks. And I've tried lots of them. Replicating the stock exhaust system is something completely different than making a exhaust system. The inners of the mufflers provide the unique XS1100 sound everyone wants. The outside with the stock provisions for the rear axle and the bevels at the rear is at least what I am looking for. And the box between the mufflers is what gives it the famous torque. Making that in stainless is even more uncomparable. In the past I sent two complete exhaust systems to Taiwan and China to have them replicated in plain steel. The only response I got (twice) was that it was too difficult and they couldn't be bothered (I asked for 20 complete sets).
                    That is why you see all these replica Z900, GS1000, GT750, CBX1000, Benelli six, Kawasaki triple systems for sale and NO replica XS1100 (or Z1000 or Z1300) systems after all these years.
                    Considering all the above (and their prices ranging from 1300-2000 euros) the german system (and probably also the Aussie system) is cheap by all standards. And yes , it should be made in a jig. But then it wasn't meant for worldwide selling, just for fellow XS1100 riders that could leave their bike behind.
                    When i talked to the German guy he asked 750-800 euros for the set and i know der Müde asks 3-400 euros for his (Ebay) intervention. Could be the first is more expensive now and der Müde is satisfied with less now, i don't know. And honestly i don't care as what is offered is not what i am looking for. I stick to my NOS stock system
                    I just wanted to inform people that if they were interested in the same system they could buy it cheaper and better fitting.
                    And if not.... than not
                    Last edited by Mathh; 07-08-2012, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I don't agree.
                      With which bit?

I agree, one needs the baffles for the XS1100 OEM sound, although there were models made without the crossover baffles and with a balance pipe instead, I believe. Personally, I don't like loud bikes and prefer the OEM sound/appearance. The German one certainly has the sound and approximate looks but silencers pointing slightly up don't gel with me, as the lines of the OEM are horizontal and suit the bike that way.

Yes, at 750 Euros (£594), that's a very good price for a stainless system which, in terms of sound and innards, is like the OEM system and which is made of thick gauge steel. I was certainly happy with that aspect of it. But, for OEM appearance, it's disappointingly not quite there, I'm afraid. Yes, the silencers have the Yamaha part number etc engraved on them, and that's a nice touch, but in terms of appearance, they're not replica. Definitely worth 750 Euros but certainly not worth almost £1200 with shipping to the UK.

The last NOS system I saw was in the USA and cost too much to ship to the UK. They are few and far between now, unfortunately.

I'll most likely buy the Australian system next time, I reckon. That's if it's baffled a la OEM and is a good fit first time round. Messing about with steel fabricators chopping large bits out of an expensive system, just so the centre stand will retract, just isn't where it's at for me!

Pity you couldn't get 20 made up. At least you tried......
                      Last edited by James England; 07-08-2012, 03:12 PM.

Comment

James, have you emailed Motexpro and Overlander Equipment? They are waiting for a bike to test fitment on but if they get enough interest, they'll tool up for a replica system, jig and all.

Dan.
                        Automotive Imbecile.
                        1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Working...
                        X