No announcement yet.

I went mad (madder?) and bought these.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I went mad (madder?) and bought these.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250451204...#ht_4212wt_698

They are stainless steel. Does anyone know if spraying the inside of the header pipes with ceramic heat resistant paint might help preventing them turning that gold colour (similar to bluing with chrome)?

They weren't cheap (AU$1642.86 delivered) but they should last forever.

Dan.
    Broke bloke.
    Last edited by Stralya; 07-01-2012, 09:08 PM. Reason: missed a word.
    Automotive Imbecile.
    Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
    '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
    1196 Big Bore Kit.

Ooooo.... spent the big bux!

I don't know how well paint will work, but I know guys that swear by this stuff on chrome pipes...
    http://www.jpcycles.com/product/440-749#product-note

Downside this is only shipped by ground freight, so you'll have to see if you can get this or a similar product locally. Kreem also sells a pre-mixed version of this, maybe you can get that.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

We have similar stuff here readily available at auto shops but they all specify 'chrome' I'm not even sure thermal paint would stick to stainless and I can't find anything about it on the web. I'm told that the gold discoloration can be easily polished off though so I might not bother. I've got a couple of weeks before they arrive so I've got plenty of time to do some more research. Big bucks is right but I couldn't find anyone here that could make them for less.
      Automotive Imbecile.
      1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stralya View Post
        ...I'm told that the gold discoloration can be easily polished off though so I might not bother...
        I'd debate that 'easily' description, but yes it can be polished off. If you stay on top of it it's not too bad, but can be a bit of a chore if you let it go for any time. I've got a Supertrapp stainless 2-1 for my Harleys and took it off because I got tired of polishing it...

That coating is simply a thermal barrier, so it should work on any metal unless there's a chemical reaction with stainless.
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Hi Dan,
          Bit late now I know but did you have a look at this mob?

XS1100 Replica muffler with balance pipe , no box $670 pr
          XS1100 Replica engine pipe with collectors $790 set

Exhausts
          Overlander is the only firm that makes a such huge range of pressed mufflers, from a BSA Sloper to a Z 900 Kawasaki, and is the only supplier of stainless steel parts with a flash chrome finish. This finish largely prevents the bronze discoloration of polished stainless steel due to high temperatures in the exhaust and applies to all engine pipes and most small mufflers. If required larger mufflers can be plated by order.

If you don't find the muffler or engine pipe you require on the list, please enquire. If you have a sample there is no system we can't make.

Available from http://www.dropbears.com/o/overlander/exhausts.htm

And here's some pics of a system on Phil's bike-

They look very close to original but use a Special styled crossover pipe instead of the large collector boxes on the Standards. Might've save a quid or two.

You'll definitely have to post some pics up once you've got yours fitted
          79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
          Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
          *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
          *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

I bought a set of these from the same place and posted pix here.......

A few things.... I had to have the balancer box seriously modified and a piece cut out of it in order to allow the centre stand to retract properly (cost me $70 to get that done) The right side of the balancer box really needed to have a bevel in it and didn't have one. Also, you'll find it may take a lot of messing about to get the silencers attached to the mounting points on the alloy hangers. Mine needed spacers and washers and all sorts to get them to fit. Also, there are no clamps on the system whatsoever... the pipes just push into the collector boxes and that's it. I sawed lines in mine and bought stainless clamps and used exhaust paste.

People here pointed out that my bike's system had a slight upturn to it. This was because the angle of the pipes from the balancer box was slightly out. It didn't bother me particularly, so I left it.

The system sounds lovely, exactly as per OEM. The yellowing of the headers is completely unavoidable and I gave up polishing it off.

I had to find chrome heat shield trims and made a way of attaching them to the exhaust system...it looked bare without them

One other thing... my system arrived with a dent in one silencer, visible when on the bike. I did get a $75 partial refund from the German bloke though. I then got someone to remove the dent using dry ice.

Here's the colour they go:

This exhaust system is not a precision, easy fit. Mine took a lot of messing and some modification to get it to fit reasonably well. It does sound lovely though... quiet and exactly as per OEM
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Thanks James. I've stopped payment via Mastercard until he addresses my concerns. That unit in Queensland looks pretty good, any issues with the fitting Eveready?
              Automotive Imbecile.
              1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

[QUOTE=crazy steve;380030]Ooooo.... spent the big bux!

I don't know how well paint will work, but I know guys that swear by this stuff on chrome pipes...
                http://www.jpcycles.com/product/440-749#product-note
                [\QUOTE]

I used that Chrome Guard stuff on a set of 4-1 Jardines years ago. They have warnings about the engine sucking in particles and causing possible engine damage. (none happened). My headers do have a slight goldish hugh (sp?) so I can't say that the effort is worth it.
                Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Well I pulled out of the sale. I can't speak highly enough of the Tired Kraut (Bjorn) though. He was very understanding and refunded my money straight away. Now I'm in contact with the mob in Melbourne (not Qld btw.) and they (Overlander Equipment) have quoted me A$1,670 plus postage which will work out to be slightly more expensive than the Tired Kraut's set up but I've made it clear to Overlander that the system must be 'plug and play'. Thanks for the feedback guys, thank goodness for this forum. I'll keep you posted.

Dan.
                  Not so broke bloke (temporarily)
                  Automotive Imbecile.
                  1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

At least by doing it "locally" It should encourage them to have an extra eye on any fitment issues. Maybe even organise for a run down there to have the pipes fitted up at the factory?? That's get any problems sorted quickly.
                    79 SF Special W/ Stock all original motor @ 384,000klms
                    Stock exhaust, stock airbox, XJ sump, 78E carbs, Xs1100RH seat, Bosch superhorns, 5/8ths front M/c, braided lines, sintered SBS pads, drilled discs, progressive springs, 8" 50w HID headlight 4300K, 2 x 50w HID spiral driving lights, KONI shocks, Spade fuse box
                    *Touring mode - Plexistar 2 screen, Gearsack rack & bag & saddlebags, homebuilt towbar
                    *"The Keg"- UC torana hubs, XS11 discs, Tokico 4 spot calipers

Comment

Me again,

If anyone has photos of the stock '78E exhaust system, would you please email them to Peter Turner at:-

motexpro@bigpond.net.au.

I received the following email from him and it looks promising.

"We don't need a stock system, just pictures will suffice. The bike is only
                      to be used to make sure correct fitment".

He's referring to his earlier suggestion that I organise someone in Brisbane to get a bike to him.

In other news, Barry from Overlander Equipment has been in contact with me again. He told me that if there were enough interest he would tool up to fabricate true OEM replica systems. If anyone has a detailed drawing of a stock system with measurements, please email him directly at::-

overlander@fastmail.fm.

Even if you just send him an email expressing interest, he will see that there is a demand out there and that's very motivating. The systems he has produced (two) were done of a set of damaged mufflers and the left two header pipes, yet he manages to produce something which, after some messing about by Phil, look pretty good. The drawing is important because we need to know that performance won't be compromised.

Who knows? We may well end up with two competing manufacturers of replica stock systems which is better than the zero that exist in the world at the moment.

Here's hoping,

Dan.
                      Automotive Imbecile.
                      1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

No dimensions but here's a drawing.

http://www.cmsnl.com/yamaha-xs1100e-...2.html#results

It's possible to work out the length of the silencers by looking at a side view of the bike. The rear of the silencers should be exactly on a vertical line with the back of the seat fairing. It's important for the aesthetics.

The silencers are not straight through...they are baffled and it makes a big difference... I've had both baffled and unbaffled and only the baffled version sounds like OEM.
                        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Thanks James. I've forwarded this to Motexpro.
                          Automotive Imbecile.
                          1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Stralya View Post
                            http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/250451204...#ht_4212wt_698
                            They are stainless steel. Does anyone know if spraying the inside of the header pipes with ceramic heat resistant paint might help preventing them turning that gold colour (similar to bluing with chrome)?
                            They weren't cheap (AU$1642.86 delivered) but they should last forever.
                            Dan.
                            Broke bloke.
                            Anyone still interested in these might want to know you can buy these directly from the producer in Germany. And considerably cheaper than from "der Müde". The guy who builds these always mentions that he needs the bike to get the system to fit properly (to avoid the problems James encountered). Stainless always warps when welded.
                            XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
                            MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
                            Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
                            Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
                            Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
                            Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Well I'm not riding to Germany. If a system fits one bike then it should fit them all. Motexpro assures me that they can accomplish this, they just need a bike that has standard fitment points. As far as I am aware, the only difference between the exhaust on our bikes is the '78 had collector boxes and the rest have through pipes. The cross pipes fit the '78, I once had a set of XJ1100 mufflers on my bike for a while and the have the cross pipe. I've still got them by the way, I may end up having to use them again even though there is an egg shaped dent in the front of one of the header pipes.

I'm sure that if Motexpro and Overlander equipment see enough interest, they will tool up and we'll have a source of exhaust systems that actually fit, made of stainless steel and wont compromise performance as well as look and sound great, for years to come. We need to generate interest though, so start emailing these guys!

Dan.
                              Automotive Imbecile.
                              1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Working...
                              X