Plastic Tubes on Case Studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Tubes on Case Studs

I'm rebuilding a '78 engine and have pulled the cylinders to swap with another set. Should I worry about replacing the plastic tubes that go over the studs? All of them disintegrated when I pulled the cylinders. I would imagine they are needed to isolate the dissimilar metals?

If I should replace them, anyone know if/where they can be found or improvised?
    82J · 81SH · 79SF Fire Damage · 78E · 79F Parts Bike · 04 Buell Blast
    Website/Blog

Don't worry about the bolt covers. Clean all the crap of the studs and out of the holes and reassembled.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Sounds good. I'm degreasing it now. This is my slow and careful bike. I've been chipping away slowly at all the work to do on it for a few months now.

I plan to get it running on the carbs, then look into EFI!
      Website/Blog

Comment

How easy did you find it to remove the cylinders?
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by Prothec View Post
          I'm rebuilding a '78 engine and have pulled the cylinders to swap with another set. Should I worry about replacing the plastic tubes that go over the studs? All of them disintegrated when I pulled the cylinders. I would imagine they are needed to isolate the dissimilar metals?

If I should replace them, anyone know if/where they can be found or improvised?
          Hi Prothec,
          there ain't no plastic tubes.
          What you got there is 3 decades-worth of accumulated crud.
          From what others have posted, be happy that it disintegrated instead of locking the cylinders to the crankcase.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
            Hi Prothec,
            there ain't no plastic tubes.
            What you got there is 3 decades-worth of accumulated crud.
            From what others have posted, be happy that it disintegrated instead of locking the cylinders to the crankcase.
            Actually Fred yes there where dampeners put around the studs from the factory.
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              How easy did you find it to remove the cylinders?
              It was pretty rough to remove. It took a few days. First to break them free from the gasket, then to soak the length of the studs in a LOT of PB Blaster, scrape and scrape, working the cylinders up and down.. A little careful pounding with a rubber mallet and eventually they popped off. I did break at least 1 fin, but the bike came with some already broken, which is really the main reason I was replacing the cylinders. The new cylinders only have one broken fin that the seller seemed to purposely hide in their ebay photos. It'll be much easier to repair though!

James, there were definitely some of the plastic tubes in place. A couple were cracked lengthwise, others broken up real bad. That must be the reason for them.. To help prevent the crud from seizing the cylinders to the studs?
              Edit: who cares what they're actually for, apparently just Yamaha over-engineering!

There were a few on the studs on my XJ, not all of the studs though.
              Last edited by Prothec; 07-01-2012, 10:21 AM.
              Website/Blog

Comment

On a scrap engine I had, I tried to remove the barrels, just to see how hard it was. They were ruined anyway with broken fins. I used a crowbar to no avail and I ended up hitting the barrels with a huge sledgehammer! And.... they still would not come off! Completely, totally impossible. It made me realise that I would never undertake removal of the barrels on my bike (not a single fin broken) lightly.......
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

When I pulled the jugs off mine (the first time) they were certainly difficult but not impossible and I didnt break any fins. It is like anything else, take it slow and use appropriately sized tools. If you are using crowbars and big hammers then yeah you are going to break fins.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    It is like anything else, take it slow and use appropriately sized tools. If you are using crowbars and big hammers then yeah you are going to break fins.
                    I'd already done that, although only for about 2 hours. I even tried dental floss. Like I say, it was a scrap engine with badly broken fins and the purpose of the exercise was to see just how difficult it would be (in a time frame of a few hours admittedly). After trying everything else, except time over a couple of days etc, I thought I'd see what immense brute force would accomplish. The sledge hammer (8lbs) and crowbar were really to see if the jugs would stand that. They did.

Having said that, the above process was a good learning experience... The jugs are on tight. Fins break very, very easily. It made me realise how much care would be required to do it on my own bike. That, and reading comments here, means I would take time, lots of freeing oil (I like PlusGas), gentle persuasion.

Didn't someone post here that they'd made some sort of gadget to exert force on the jugs without breaking fins?

Comment

Yeah, trbig post some contraption to pull the jugs.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Removing stuck cylinders
                        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

That's it. Thanks. I'll file that one away for future reference....

Comment

I must have way more patience than I thought

It definitely took time, paid attention to the prying points shown in the manual and lots of penetrating oil.
                            Website/Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X