float height question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• float height question...

so im about to take my carbs off and rejet them, but before i took them down i wanted to check the fuel floats...all four of them read almost dead even, heres a pic of where they read at using clear tubing...

the tip of the tool is where im talking about...
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

i guess i should have asked a question...my bad i forgot to finish the post...is this within specs? i have searched the web, read the manual, and i am getting some conflicting information...either that or im just not reading it right...
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

Comment

on the later model carbs,
      the float height with the tube method
      is where the washer sits, where the float bowl
      bolt screws into the carb, im not sure if its the
      same with the early model carbs tho, if it is
      urs mite be a little high.
      pete

new owner of
      08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
      1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
      zrx carbs
      18mm float height
      145 main jets
      38 pilots
      slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
      fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

float height

i set mine at .25mm on 79 special. i think the specs. are .24mm- .27mm i found that .25 is a good point to start at and it worked for me. thats from the base where the gasket sets to the highest point of floats. each float bulb needs to be measured and adjusted to same across all carbs. i have brass floats. plastic may be different. one member on website has a online manual you can download to see your specs, search for online manual in search box and that member should come up.
        79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

The 79 carbs have no spec for measuring them with tubing on the outside. The only spec that is given is for when measuring from the inside so that is how you must check. The spec is 25.7 +/-1mm.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Not sure how you measure with the tube method on the float bowls before 1981. Only the 81 bowls have the appropriate drain setup to allow you to measure the fuel height in the bowl, the screw comes in from the side with a bottom drain opening, so you can attach the tube and work the screw. Not sure how the XJ bowls look though, may be the same.

The others all have that drain bolt on the bottom, for the 80 carbs you could make a fitting on the bolt to attach a tube to, kind of like a bleed screw in a brake cylinder. But for the 78-79 model carbs, like others have stated, there is no specification for what level to achieve.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

Adjusted floats, now problems

Alright, first a little back ground. I have a 79 special that ran great before I started this project. I was a bit paranoid about fuel in the oil so I wanted to replace the float needles. That and the idle was around 1,900.

So I cleaned my carbs and replaced the float needles and seats. I then set all the float heights with my caliper set at 25.7mm. Reinstalled everything to synchronize and it ran quite rough. Synched the carbs and one of the left cylinders appears to be running quite rich. I;m getting a lot of smoke from the left pipe. The plugs are a few months old so I doubt the 20min I ran it like this would show anything. Plus it was hell hot and late, and I wasn't waiting for her to cool to check them tonight.

My question is, could I have misadjusted one of the floats? I mean I set them all at 25.7mm, but two of them weren't even close to that prior to adjustment, and the bike ran awesome before.
              1979 XS1100 SF
              1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
              1981 KZ650CSR
              2006 VTX 1300C
              1986 Radian 600

Comment

Floats

Originally posted by conquest87tsi View Post
                Alright, first a little back ground. I have a 79 special that ran great before I started this project. I was a bit paranoid about fuel in the oil so I wanted to replace the float needles. That and the idle was around 1,900.

So I cleaned my carbs and replaced the float needles and seats. I then set all the float heights with my caliper set at 25.7mm. Reinstalled everything to synchronize and it ran quite rough. Synched the carbs and one of the left cylinders appears to be running quite rich. I;m getting a lot of smoke from the left pipe. The plugs are a few months old so I doubt the 20min I ran it like this would show anything. Plus it was hell hot and late, and I wasn't waiting for her to cool to check them tonight.

My question is, could I have misadjusted one of the floats? I mean I set them all at 25.7mm, but two of them weren't even close to that prior to adjustment, and the bike ran awesome before.
                Do you have brass floats and have you checked them for leaks?
                78 XS1100E Standard
                Coca Cola Red
                Hooker Headers

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00580.jpg

1979 XS1100 Special
                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC00612.jpg

1980 XS Standard
                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...m/DSC01137.jpg

2006 Roadstar Warrior
                http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/p...um/warrior.jpg

Comment

have u also synced and readjusted the mixture screws?
                  pete

new owner of
                  08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
                  1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
                  zrx carbs
                  18mm float height
                  145 main jets
                  38 pilots
                  slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
                  fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Float

I did not check for leaks in the brass floats. Like I said, It ran great before I adjusted the heights. I syncronized the carbs, but did not adjust the mixture screws yet. I did adjust the #4 misture screw a little, but had no change on the vaccum guage. I'm not sure if I'm missing something on doing the mixture adjustment or not.
                    1979 XS1100 SF
                    1979 XS750 SF

Previous Rides:
                    1981 KZ650CSR
                    2006 VTX 1300C
                    1986 Radian 600

Comment

Working...
                    X