Stranger than Fiction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stranger than Fiction

Steppenwolf came over last weekend and we were looking over my bike to figure out why the rear wheel is rubbing the swingarm. He noticed that a larger portion of the axle protrudes through the swingarm (the larger chrome part, that pulls up against the torque plate) than on his bike. I also have the complete swingarm, brake and wheel assembly form the wrecked bike. With it fully assembled, it looked like the same gap as on his bike.

So we took both my spare assembly and the one on the bike apart. Measured all the components and compared. Nothing of any significance was different. I measured from the lip of the FD to the lip of the hole in the swingarm the axle goes through. Found the one on the bike had a larger dimension. WTF, a bent swingarm!!??

Today I went through the process of swapping out the swingarms. Getting it all assembled, and find I now have the same problem again. I do notice that in order to get the large part of the axle through the swingarm, I have to pull hard to get it lined up. So I took it all back apart and looked and thought. Took the shock off the swingarm on the right side to make sure it was not causing any force. No change.

Now I got the idea to pull everything out of the way, brake assy, torque plate and just slide the axle through the swingarm and the FD. Same issue, not lining up well.

So, now I am pondering, is the frame bent and therefore causing an issue with swingarm when I torque the swingarm bolts into place? Does not seem likely, but still a possibility. Or os the FD itself some how fubared to the point it is not lined up? I guess my next step is to swpa the FD from the wrecked bike onto this one and see what lines up different.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

You might look at this thread..... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37211

I have found swingarms that don't quite line up right, although it does sound like your problem may be the FD. Or you might have a 'tolerance stack' issue with your particular parts...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Well, I found the problem, and it was in the GD Clymers manual. Swingarm pivot bolt torque is listed at 47 FT-LBS in the Clymers, I looked it up in the FSM and its 43-52 IN-LBS. I thought it was ALOT of torque on those bolts, and it was, enough to actually torque the swingarm out of alignment!!

I am at the point of burning that book I think!!!

Recommendation for a new Sticky - Misprints in the CLymers manual!!
      Last edited by DGXSER; 06-21-2012, 11:08 PM.

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

Make sure you didn't damage the swingarm bearings; does it still pivot smoothly?
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Feels fine to me Steve. I was concerned about the bearings. I just could not believe it distorted the swingarm itself??!!

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
            Feels fine to me Steve. I was concerned about the bearings. I just could not believe it distorted the swingarm itself??!!
            There's been a thread about precisely this before.It was that Clymers again!
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

It's also wrong in my '78-'79 FSM, listed at 72 ft-lbs. It was meant to be the pivot bolt locknut setting but the entry just reads pivot bolt. That was a bad day for sure.
              Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Working...
              X