Wiring harness question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring harness question...

so i have been re-assembling the MNS project i bought a couple months ago, and I was wondering what to do with the harness that has a plug similiar to the one for the plug mount on the Fairing. since im not a fan of the fairing(reminds me of old police bikes) i was wondering if there is a write-up on what to do with the gob of wires, or if there is a delete of any non-essentials in the particular cluster. any and all input appreciated. thanks in advance.
    80 MNS; 81 Venturer

If the bike had a fairing on it and it wasn't cobbled on there, it should just unplug. Most of the fairing wiring harnesses came set up as plug-in items, and to go back you just unplugged them and re-plugged your stock bits.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

There should be a wiring "pigtail" with a black rubberized cover on it that goes from the fairing to the headlight bucket (if the headlight bucket is still on there). Just unplug all of the connections from the headlight bucket end of the pigtail, and leave the pigtail with the fairing. All of the components on the bike (like turn signals, the headlight, ground wires, etc.) will all just plug back in where they were originally. Remember that you will need to have a headlight bucket, the headlight ring/bulb/reflector assembly, and the turn signal stems to put everything back together the way it came from the factory.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
      X