Bike Restoration Attempt - Need Some Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
    - - - I may try to see if it will run, but won't loose sleep if it doesn't. I will run a compression test to check the mechanical condition of the motor to see if that part is good in any case. - - -
    Hi Steve,
    I'd check the motor condition before I decided about the tear-down so I could make informed decisions about how far to go with it.
    For instance, I ain't gonna pull the motor if it runs good which means the frame gets a touch-up rather than a re-paint.
    Lotsa subsequent choices depend on how well the motor runs so it's best to know that first.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hey all.

Thanks very much for all of your responses. I'm at work at the moment, so I can't go into detail, but I definitely will when I get home tonight. I did have some method to my madness, or at least I thought I did.

Anyway, I'll respond to all the questions tonight. Also, I still have the bags people are asking about. One of the locks was drilled before I got a hold of them. I can take some more pictures if people are interested.
      1980 XS1100G - Coming together
      1979 XS1100 Midnight Special - Still in one rusted piece

Comment

Fred, the bikes I buy on my budget always need a complete cosmetic rebuild to have a finished bike that I'll be happy with, so the question of teardown or not doesn't come up...

Copeland, I'll send you a PM...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

[QUOTE=crazy steve;378218]Fred, the bikes I buy on my budget always need a complete cosmetic rebuild to have a finished bike that I'll be happy with, so the question of teardown or not doesn't come up - - - QUOTE]

Hi Steve,
          if the bikes I buy on my budget run, stop and corner, that's good enough.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Well I must say that I agree with the boys on this one. Although I may have my order of operations mixed up as I have been doing cosmetic work before checkin my engine. I do have a full spare engine that I can rip parts from if it doesn't run or run well. So regardless if I didn't tear into mine, I am still glad you posted this thread cuz I usually learn from each one that gets posted.

All that being said, I was scared to dig into the carbs on my first bike and you went right for the bread and butter Big balls my friend, BIG BALLS!

Good luck...and I know where you're at. I have a total of 2 I am working on right now and the first one I am still wrenching on. Always new ideas every day. They are fun bikes so hopefully you get one to ride.
            1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
            1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
            1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

Update for anyone who is interested. I've gotten most of the big pieces back on to the frame and I'm planning to finish soon. This pictures are mostly for entertainment value.

http://imgur.com/a/eUSl9#0

Comment

Nice work, interesting frame color, not often someone varies from the factory black.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                  Nice work, interesting frame color, not often someone varies from the factory black.
                  Thanks.

I figured I already have a blacked out Harley Nightster, so I thought I'd go with something a little different.

Comment

Frame

Will be interesting to see how it looks once its all together. I've seen a white frame before on someone's project. Wasn't a fan at first but when it was finally assembled it went well with the whole bike. White wouldnt be my first choice since it will be a pain to keep clean. Keep the pics coming.
                    1980 xs1100G - Sold
                    1981 Venturer - Stock

Comment

My 80G sat outside in the elements for 6 years. Its amazing how well air cooled engines will hold up over time and/or outside, as opposed to water cooled. Water jackets corrode, freeze and rot from the inside. Water pumps, hoses, radiators, thermostats, head gaskets leak and corrode. Then, some PO will probably run it without water... None of those problems with air cooled - they can sit forever. Electrical connections, air intakes (rodents) and fuel systems are the only worries.
                      When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnfresh View Post
                        My 80G sat outside in the elements for 6 years. Its amazing how well air cooled engines will hold up over time and/or outside, as opposed to water cooled. Water jackets corrode, freeze and rot from the inside. Water pumps, hoses, radiators, thermostats, head gaskets leak and corrode. Then, some PO will probably run it without water... None of those problems with air cooled - they can sit forever. Electrical connections, air intakes (rodents) and fuel systems are the only worries.
                        Haha, interesting points. My problem has been the amount of rust that's been on EVERYTHING!

We'd also hope that nothing settles out and clogs things too badly. I had to toss the original brake hoses because they were all stopped up. I know I had to anyway, but it's interesting to see how these things act over long periods of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnfresh View Post
                          My 80G sat outside in the elements for 6 years. Its amazing how well air cooled engines will hold up over time and/or outside, as opposed to water cooled...
                          That depends on where you live; in a dry climate like inland Texas, yeah, not too much stuff will go bad. But live somewhere with humidity and you'll be faced with every bare metal surface being heavily corroded, sometimes to the point of no return. I've seen bikes here where the frames have rusted into pieces and you literally couldn't get anything apart without breaking it.
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yeah.. us inland Texicans are spoiled.. Rode my bike to work everyday in November.. and the ride home keeps getting longer!
                            When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

I like your methods. Buy it, tear it apart, make it happen. Your frame and motor looks great and you got it done fast. Nice project.
                              "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

Originally posted by Yard Dogg View Post
                                I like your methods. Buy it, tear it apart, make it happen. Your frame and motor looks great and you got it done fast. Nice project.
                                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X