Fiberglass Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass Repair

Live and learn, I guess. I messed up. I had a great seat that I was cutting down to a cafe style seat. Well - I cut it down too far - the foam and the fiberglass seatpan. Two questions:

1. Can I glue a hunk of the seat foam back in place with spray adhesive?
    2. Can I repair the seatpan - by adding a tail section that I cut off?

Thanks in advance.

JM

Fiberglass repair

finally someone asked a question I have some experiance with.
    Ok first it would be easier to answer is you would post a pic of what you did.

The short answer is, yes it is probably repairable.
    Fibergalss resin is awesome to work with, just make sure to take precautions to protect yourself and anything around where you are working.
    I have used fiberglass resin to fix a ton of stuff.

if the repair in question is going to have preassiure on it then you will want to reinforce the repair with a little fiberglass mat, all of this is available at any auto parts store.
    List of stuff you will need.
    1. Fiberglass resin
    2. liquid hardener (You can use the cream hardener if you want I just prefer the liquid)
    3. Fiberglass mat

You will need some throwaway containers to mix your fiber glass resin in, make sure you are ready to lay it as it will harden pretty fast depending on how much hardener you use.
    (I wear gloves when working with fiberglass, I hate having to clean that stuff off me.)

Repair your seat pan, then use some spray adhesive to put the foam back in place and shave to shape.
    Hope this helps ya.

Damian
    If it's worth doing, It's worth overdoing!
    Ride it like you stole it, or get out of my way.
    Don't worry if others don't like it, if you like it just smile and ride!

1979 XS1100SF w/ Flanders "Superbike" Handlebars,
    Upcoming mods include but not limited to, ZRX Carbs, 4-1 exhaust, and a gun fighter single seat, lots of paint, chrome and powder coating.

Comment

Working...
    X