Chewbacca (PO) strikes again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chewbacca (PO) strikes again

Working on the XS and when I picked it up the PO (I've named Chewbacca) said its an old bike and it has leaks. Also with the Kerker he stated the oil filter may not have been changed recently. Being a long time fan of Japanese bikes I stereotype them as non-leakers so if its leaking probably something wrong. PO stated it had just had an oil change, new plugs, and a battery so I left the oil change for later.

The bottom of the bike was covered in oil so I took it to the car wash and hosed it off and I've been watching since. The CCT leaks like a sieve and I have 2 coming for this and my XJ

The bottom of the motor was getting covered again and all I could tell is it was coming from the oil filter.

Today was fluid day. Drained the oil and first discovery was no crush washer and a trail of oil back from the drain plug.

Dropped the filter housing and went to pull the filter and it literally disintegrated on the spot. Once in I found 2 cracks running from the housing bolt hole. Like everything else the housing cover was on Gorilla tight. Have another oil filter housing in my storage unit so need to grab that next trip out.

On a side note I finally got the oil filter housing off the XJ. I went to Sears and bought a set of 6 pt Metric sockets and drove the 12mm on over the rounded off bolt on the XJ and it came out. The 12pt sockets that I had just became a tool set to stay on the bike.
    Last edited by WSL91; 06-17-2012, 09:25 AM.
    1970? Honda Z50... gone
    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
    1974 Honda CB200... gone
    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

I had an stp oil filter crumble to bits after about 2200 miles. Scarey stuff.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
      The 12pt sockets that I had just became a tool set to stay on the bike.
      Since I was raised by depression babies, I hate to through anything away, but the twelve point sockets would not be on my bike, maybe in that deep dark corner of the garage with the sign "only enter in a dire emergency!!!"
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

BTW, if you are replacing the oil filter housing, you might think about modifying it for a small drain plug. It really makes oil changes a lot less messy. I did it and use nylon washers for the seal. works like a charm.
        Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Working...
        X