front brake bleeding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front brake bleeding

i need to bleed my front brakes, i was wondering if anyone had any advice of how to do it by myself. i am just looking for some way to do it that will be fast and easy. i have tried already, and it seems that all the air is out of the lines, but i still have no front brakes, and its getting frustrating, because all i want to do is ride. thanks in advance for the info. and help
    xs1100 hartail bobber

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/...-38-36_563.jpg

First, do you have pressure at the MC? Did you "bench bleed" the MC? To do that, place a towel or rag or plastic around all the parts under the MC (you do not want brake fluid on painted parts, or they will no longer be painted ; Remove the front banjo bolt, now put your finger over the hole in the MC, pull the brake lever until you feel pressure on your finger, then loosen your finger to let the air out, repeat till you get a good surge of fluid. Now, put the banjo bolt back in place. Return to bleeding at the calipers.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by Nightengale View Post
      i need to bleed my front brakes, i was wondering if anyone had any advice of how to do it by myself. i am just looking for some way to do it that will be fast and easy. i have tried already, and it seems that all the air is out of the lines, but i still have no front brakes, and its getting frustrating, because all i want to do is ride. thanks in advance for the info. and help
      I bit the bullet and bought a Mity Vac for around 40.00 at the local Car Parts place. The only regret is that I didn't do this years ago. I can't imagine swapping brake parts and manually bleeding with a Master Cylinder.
      1970? Honda Z50... gone
      1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
      1974 Honda CB200... gone
      1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
      1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
      2008 Honda VTX 1800F
      1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
      1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
        I bit the bullet and bought a Mity Vac for around 40.00 at the local Car Parts place. The only regret is that I didn't do this years ago. I can't imagine swapping brake parts and manually bleeding with a Master Cylinder.
        A big +1 on that! Doing it with just the master cylinder takes forever...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

havent done that

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
          First, do you have pressure at the MC? Did you "bench bleed" the MC? To do that, place a towel or rag or plastic around all the parts under the MC (you do not want brake fluid on painted parts, or they will no longer be painted ; Remove the front banjo bolt, now put your finger over the hole in the MC, pull the brake lever until you feel pressure on your finger, then loosen your finger to let the air out, repeat till you get a good surge of fluid. Now, put the banjo bolt back in place. Return to bleeding at the calipers.
          i havent done that, and that does make sense since it is a new mc. i will try that today, but the idea of the 40 dollar bleeder does sound pretty good. but i will try bleeding the mc first. i will let you guys know how things go. if i still cant get it i will have to break down and buy the bleeder. thanks again for the help. i dont know what i would do without you guys.
          xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

I took one of those big gas mixing syringes and put a tube on it and hooked it to the bleeder on the caliper and pushed the fluid in backwards and had mine done in about 15 minutes.
            Jeff
            77 XS750 2D completely stock
            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

finally

finally got the time to get the front brakes bleed, the problem i had was that the left brake banjo bolt was a little loose and was leaking just enough to keep the brakes from building up any pressure. thanks again for all the help.
              xs1100 hartail bobber

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
                I took one of those big gas mixing syringes and put a tube on it and hooked it to the bleeder on the caliper and pushed the fluid in backwards and had mine done in about 15 minutes.
                Clever! I like it.
                XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

When I replaced the brake lines on my quad with steel braided ones I spent a half hour trying to build up pressure with no luck. Then I took a 4foot tube of fishtank air hose and hooked it to my bleeder screw. I left the cap off the resivoir and losened the bleeder screw. then I just sucked on the air tube until I could see the brake fluid. Long hose prevents drinking any.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwood2 View Post
                    When I replaced the brake lines on my quad with steel braided ones I spent a half hour trying to build up pressure with no luck. Then I took a 4foot tube of fishtank air hose and hooked it to my bleeder screw. I left the cap off the resivoir and losened the bleeder screw. then I just sucked on the air tube until I could see the brake fluid. Long hose prevents drinking any.
                    Sounds good, what ever works. Definately quicker with some vacuum opposed to pressure by the short stroke M/C
                    1970? Honda Z50... gone
                    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
                    1974 Honda CB200... gone
                    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
                    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
                    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
                    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
                    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Working...
                    X