Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polished Bare Metal XS Tank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joevmathews/

I saw this tank on another forum - I am thinking about the same thing on my bike. Curious about anyone that has tried this. My obvious concern is rust. I thought about a clear coat or a clear powdercoat (but, I think that might be out because I just epoxied the innards of the tank and it won't handle the heat of powdercoating). Someone has even suggested simply painting the underside and just waxing the exposed bits every week.

I do have a few dings that I want to clear up w/body filler. Curious if anyone has experience with any metallic type paints?

Paint

I have seen another tank like that here but cant find the thread. It was painted with a chrome mettalic paint subsequently sanded and polished and looked just like bare metal.

I think you would have an easier time making the mirror finish look with paint than actually getting the metal perfect.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Metallic Paint

I agree. I will have to bondo it to clean up the few dings. But, I actually like it looking a bit rough - as opposed to mirror perfect. I like the hammered aluminium look.

Comment

You're almost there! CHROME IT!!
        Or at least nickle plate.
        The liner won't make any difference to a plate job.
        CZ

Comment

Could you nickel plate over body filler or would you have to lead fill the dents for nickel playing to hold? I think the one in your pics is gorgeous! Somebody has some serious time in wet sanding and buffing!
          BARE BONES CHOPPERS: If it don't make it go faster, you don't need it!
          80 XS1100SG(cafe in progress *slowly)

Comment

Polisheed bare metal tank

I did mine last summer. It still looks the same as the day I did it, but it hasn't left the garage yet. I too was thinking clear coat but I don't think it will stick. I think I will just let it go and if I see any rust starting I'll get it painted.
            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
            79 DT 100

Comment

Nice polished tank. Y'all must not ever ride in the sun!!!

Check out Gibbs metal protectant.

Comment

XS11lover,

I'd love to see a picture of that tank on the bike. Really interested in the idea and think it would be pretty easy to keep clean as long as you don't leave it outside and uncovered.

Aches n Pains
                1995 KZ100P
                Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
                Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Looks great, but I agree with Shack, get out for a nice fay long ride in the sun, I would think the glare off that in your face would get obnoxious. Yeah I know, dang engineer, looks mean nothing, all about function.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

Air Stream, the company that makes travel trailers, uses polished aluminum for the body shells. They coat it with a clear coat, which is, it seems, impervious to every thing.
                    A call to their technical support line, 1-877-596-6505, may supply you with the paint type used, or the number of the nearest dealer, who repairs them, and would know what kind of clear finish would work on polished metal.
                    Another good source of information would be an Air Stream forum, such as http://http://www.airforums.com/foru...archid=1090896

No, plating, at least the kind that you will find on the commercial market, can not be done over body filler. The plating done over non conductive materials requires vapor deposition of a conductive material, with subsequent deposition of the bright plate. Think automobile grills.

A product that I have used on polished aluminum is called Race Glaze.
                    http://http://raceglaze.net/
                    It was the only product that I found that did not leave a noticable haze on the aluminum. I would assume that it would act the same on polished steel.
                    It is not a paint, but only a polish/sealant, so if the metal was left in the weather, it would probably start degrading. Good luck, CZ

Comment

You would probably have adhesion problems trying to clear coat or paint a polished tank. Paint needs something to bite. That is why you have to sand with 400-600 grit before painting.
                      80 SG XS1100
                      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Sharkhide

If you do decide to polish metal (steel or aluminum) there is a product that sticks...called Sharkhide. Its used to protect boats in saltwater from the aluminum getting oxidized. Brush or spray it on.

Its available on Amazon cz I bought mine there. I bought it to polish the wheels and engine bits then cover them, but havent gotten to the polishing part yet

John

Here is a company link for info but they dont sell direct. Cool pics though.

http://www.sharkhide.com/sharkhide_metal_protectant.htm
                        Last edited by jwhughes3; 06-17-2012, 09:35 AM. Reason: Added link

Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

Comment

Sharkhide

I saw a demo of this stuff - it looks awesome. But, it still makes me nervous to not have a more permanent coating. My understanding is that clear powdercoat will hold and protect - better than paint.

Comment

Originally posted by JosephM View Post
                            ..My understanding is that clear powdercoat will hold and protect - better than paint.
                            Powdercoat is wonderful stuff, but has it's limitations just like any coating. Any clear coating will suffer from UV breakdown sooner or later, including powdercoat. One disadvantage to powdercoat is because it does bond so well to properly-prepped metal surfaces, when you do get a break in the finish and corrosion gets under it it's a difficult job to strip and reapply. You can't 'touch-up' powder like you can paint.

Applying a thick coat of powder will help with or even eliminate chipping, but thick clear will 'fog' the underlying finish.

The hotrodders that are using bare steel finishes are using a regular wipedown (weekly or less) with WD40 as their 'wax'...
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Sharkhide

One of the things that sold me on sharkhide was that you dont have to strip prior coats to refinish. Brush a new coat on and solvents "melt" previous finish and allow the two to bond. Makes it easier to reapply annually.

John

Comment

Working...
                              X