Pod Filter VS Airbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pod Filter VS Airbox

I've been running pod filters on my XJ for years and love them. The ease of removal/installation of the carbs is a dream come true and I LOVE the growl I get from them.. BUT... I remember T.C. making a movie like this once, but I don't remember him getting on it like this.

I've had a stumble between 2-3k rpm that I can't seem to track down. I mounted my GoPro camara to the battery to watch my carb slides to see if I could see one dropping or something. I got out to the highway and shifted into 4th at @ 15mph, then slowly eased into the throttle until WOT and held it to redline. If you set the video setting on this to 480, or even 720, then you'll see what I am getting at.

http://youtu.be/MLRejaVHc3M

After riding the XJ, I could always smell fuel on me and wondered how. I figured it was just blowing back on me from the exhaust somehow. You can see that at higher speeds, the wind is sucking out more fuel than the engine seems to be. With as much as is spewing out, it makes me wonder how it runs so well at upper rpm? It doesn't look like any is even going into the carb?? You can see it get all over the camara, and really see it towards the end spewing from #3 and #4.. probably just because of better lighting on that side.

So, even though I still love the pod filters, there is definately something to be said about velocity stacks or the stock air breather for these bikes. With just pods, there has got to be wind sucking the fuel out still, and I'm sure a person could get better fuel mileage with one of the other setups. I may have to try this again with the pod filters on and see if I can still see fuel escaping.

Just thought this was intersting and worth posting about.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Interesting.........to bad the XJ had to be a bit of a PITA to deal with the removal of the stock intake.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Entirely typical for a individual and/or short runner intake....

The problem isn't the wind sucking it out, it's the column of moving mixture rebounding off the closed intake valve. If you strapped the bike to a dyno, you'd see the same thing. Velocity stacks help with this, the longer the better generally. A common-plenum airbox would help some, even two 'paired' filters although effectiveness would be quite a bit less.

Harley's do this too; the short intake runner has enough reversion that I never need to oil my K&N filter as it's always a bit 'wet'...
      Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
      '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
      '82 XJ rebuild project
      '80SG restified, red SOLD
      '79F parts...
      '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
      '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
      '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
      '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
      Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
      Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I recently read some of Dan Hodges posts about his dyno results and he said his bike made more power with less restriction on the intake. Even short velocity stacks had a negative impack on power output... That being said, I dont think it's practical to run no stacks or filters and if/when I ever use pod filters I'm going to cut the face (facing the engine) out of the air box so the pods are recessed in the box and shielded from the cross wind. I cant remember what member did this first...
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

K&n

Isnt it just easier to KEEP the stock airbox, drill it for extra airflow and drop a K&N filter inside?

I run a K&N on Great Ranger and it runs fine.

John
          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Holy crap that is a lot of gas
            91 kwaka kz1000p
            Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

After riding the XJ, I could always smell fuel on me and wondered how. (Snip)

I have heard that some members used pods within the protection od the airbox upper. They reported improvements. (for example Lanny Marsh?)
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
                Isnt it just easier to KEEP the stock airbox, drill it for extra airflow and drop a K&N filter inside?

I run a K&N on Great Ranger and it runs fine.

John

No K&N for the XJ without modifying one and making one. The stock airbox on the XJ makes putting the carbs back in a major PITA, so many go to pods.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100

Comment

I don't think you're looking at fuel. The air moving into a jet engine sometimes looks similar. I think you're seeing condensation from the air moving rapidly into the carburetors.
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

Well, I was sure looking at a lot of fuel all over my camara afterwards. lol.

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

why do you wanna take your carbs off alot? Once they are tuned and set you should just leave them on and ride the thing... Just saying
                      Don
                      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
                      1989 kawi ex500
                      1996 yzf-r6
                      1999 yzf-r1
                      2001 kawi zx-6r
                      2000 Ducati 748
                      2002 YZF-R1
                      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                        I don't think you're looking at fuel. The air moving into a jet engine sometimes looks similar. I think you're seeing condensation from the air moving rapidly into the carburetors.
                        I think what they saw was fuel droplets, and what the racers call standoff. It is caused by the reversion of air when the intake valves are open and the piston is starting up. It seems to be a function of cam timing verses RPM.
                        On downdraft carbs, it isn't a problem, since it will fall, or get sucked, back into the carb mouth. Side draft, it's a different story. Some of the heavier droplets will fall out of the intake airstream.
                        As has been mentioned, velocity stacks long enough to contain it are the best answer. CZ

Comment

No, fuel injection with a tuned airbox is the best answer, ha ha! Tod, are you running a 4-1 pipe?
                          Healthy is merely the slowest rate at which you can die

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba….Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Hey Tod,

Wow, nice panoramic view of all 4 carbs! In my video I did get on it several times taking it up to Redline and such, but just short bursts. But during those bursts, I can see small spritzs of fuel around the inlet bell ports as well. Mine had a stuck/broken float post and so my #2 carb was flooding at times, and in my video you can see me fiddling with the fuel hose trying to see if I can tell where the fuel is coming from....but I thought it was mostly due to the stuck float/flooding #2 carb as to why I was getting fuel spraying around while the filters were off! I'm pretty sure I was already running the richer 117.5 mains because I didn't film this until after I rebuilt my topend, and when I went to pods, I put the larger jets in to prevent burning holes in my new Wiseco pistons! On my after breakin dyno run, the readout showed that I could have possibly gone up 1 more jet size to 120. My plugs have a decent light tan color, so I'm not running too lean, but I'm not rich either.

Perhaps yours is jetted a little too rich? Or your floats a little too high/rich?
                            Are those XJ carbs, I can see the 4 inlet ports, but can't see the enrichener. Mine are also the later carbs, 81Sh, so they shouldn't be that different....still don't think they should be spewing that much fuel?

T.C.
                            T. C. Gresham
                            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                            History shows again and again,
                            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

We finally got my carbs figured out. (Yes, they are XJ carbs, and as I said, have the Dynojet kit.) As you assemble the carb slide, you drop the needle down and get that tab into it's hole, then on top goes a small washer, then the spring, then the metal cap and two screws to hold down on the spring. In my case, the small washer that goes on top of the circlip sitting in the groove was so small that it fit up inside the center of the spring. So, the spring was actually pushing down on the plastic donut thing with the tab that goes underneath the circlip. Over time, this was pushing that donut down the needle, thereby raising the needle and giving me a rediculously rich mix. It would idle OK and run WOT OK, but anything in between, it sputtered and popped. BAD.

So, the reason so much fuel was spewing out is because the needles were getting raised up so high. When I would take the top of the carbs off, the diaphrams would be SOAKED with fuel.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Current bikes:
                              '06 Suzuki DR650
                              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                              '81 XS1100 Special
                              '81 YZ250
                              '80 XS850 Special
                              '80 XR100