Stuck drain plugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck drain plugs

I'm starting to rebuild my spare carb set for the XJ11 and at this point, the bowls come off nicely, the drain plugs do not. There's an O-ring on the screw so I can't have at it with heat. I tried using a #4 JSO screwdriver on them which fits perfectly but they don't want to turn. I put Kroil on them yesterday and trying to turn them today, they still don't want to turn.

What's a good approach to getting these screws out without damaging the screws?

Thanks!
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Lay the bowl on a piece of cloth. Use an impact wrench with the correct socket or Phillips head (depending on the set up of your carb). Use as little force on the wrench as you can.

Good luck.
    1995 KZ100P
    Pods, jets, pipes, cam adjuster, oil cooler

1977 Ironhead - custom build
    Hot engine, custom frame, KZ front and rear, high torque starter, alternator conversion, Progressive shocks, Thunderheart wiring, Dyna ignition, oil cooler, Dakota Digital instruments, etc.

Sold all my XS's to Eastcoaster but still love to keep up with you guys. This is the best cycle forum on the web.

Comment

Replace the oring

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
      r There's an O-ring on the screw so I can't have at it with heat. !

You are gonna replace the oring anyway so I would have at it with heat anyway.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I'm not sure about the impact driver, These are JSO standard screws and my impact driver is for American screw heads.
        I have hand screwdrivers for the Japanese "Philips head" screws.

I might have to use heat and melt the o-ring but I'd hate to leave a trail of vulcanized rubber inside.

I'm wondering if a flat head might be the better option as these screws are a hermaphrodite
        (the glaze is Kroil I've been applying daily)

Whatcha think?
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

Working...
        X