Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me decide what to do with these side covers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide what to do with these side covers.

So today I hit up one of the local motorcycle salvage yards, trying to find a set of side covers for my 1979 xs1100sf.
    They had 2 sets and they both looked the same except for the color and the emplem on the sides.
    The first set were black and the emblems said "XS Custom"
    The second set was Red with gold pinstripes and said "XS Eleven"
    I purchased the red set, brought them home only to find out they were for a slightly different model.
    I can make these things fit on my bike with a little moding, but was unsure how rare they were.
    I think they are made for a 1978 standard.
    If it's worth doing, It's worth overdoing!
    Ride it like you stole it, or get out of my way.
    Don't worry if others don't like it, if you like it just smile and ride!

1979 XS1100SF w/ Flanders "Superbike" Handlebars,
    Upcoming mods include but not limited to, ZRX Carbs, 4-1 exhaust, and a gun fighter single seat, lots of paint, chrome and powder coating.

This will identify those for you....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36552

None of the three basic sidecover 'types' interchange. Mounting brackets in the wrong places and interference with the seat will be the two main problems. But good sidecovers are hard to find, so before you hack those up you might check to see if you can work out a trade...
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Damian View Post
      So today I hit up one of the local motorcycle salvage yards, trying to find a set of side covers for my 1979 xs1100sf.
      They had 2 sets and they both looked the same except for the color and the emplem on the sides.
      I purchased the red set, brought them home only to find out they were for a slightly different model.
      I can make these things fit on my bike with a little moding, but was unsure how rare they were.
      Hi Damian,
      if they were at all affordable, go back and buy the other set, too.
      The thing to watch for is if the leftside cover still has the fancy lower tab that locks it in place.
      Most used ones have had that tab broken off by POs who didn't know the leftside cover is removed by using the ignition key so you are right, good covers are rare.
      Use the covers that best fit your bike and sell the others on.
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Damian View Post
        Depending on what you paid for them you may be able to re-sell them here first (hopefully) then eBay if no takers. There are some on eBay right now that you could look at for reference. If you are a seller you can search on sold items and see what they actually sold for vs offered at. I wish I had a motorcycle salvage yard around here, it would be fun to walk through.
        1970? Honda Z50... gone
        1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
        1974 Honda CB200... gone
        1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
        1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
        2008 Honda VTX 1800F
        1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
        1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

a guy just told me a few days ago that there is a huge motorcylce junkyard in ohio that has all kinds of xs 11's.
          Jeff
          77 XS750 2D completely stock
          79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
            a guy just told me a few days ago that there is a huge motorcylce junkyard in ohio that has all kinds of xs 11's.
            what's the name?
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

I don't know what you should do about your side-covers but I do have a question. Between Damian and Steve, who's the crazier?
              1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Gonna use them until I fond something better

I think I'm just gonna use them until I happen on a pair made exactly for my bike.
                I think I'll just zip tie the tops, the tab on the left is broken but there's enough left I think I can fabricate a piece to fit the lock.
                Other than the slots not lining up on the top thats really the only problem.
                I'm not using a stock seat so I won't have to worry about it interfering with the seat. That way I can use them and not ruin them for anyone else later.
                They cost me $100 for the pair, so I could go get the other pair for $100 as well.

Damian

Upcoming mods include but not limited to, ZRX Carbs, 4-1 exhaust, and a gun fighter single seat, lots of paint, chrome and powder coating.

Comment

Wow $100 for the pair, with the left one having the tab broken off.
                  I don't know If I'd pay that much for them.
                  Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                  The Green Monster
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                  Got him in '04.
                  bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                  Scarlet
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                  Hugo
                  Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

Damian

Originally posted by jimbyjimb View Post
                    I don't know what you should do about your side-covers but I do have a question. Between Damian and Steve, who's the crazier?
                    I think Damian is because he is Crazy with a capital C !

John
                    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

If it is an option I would return them to the salvage yard for the correct ones or at least get your money back. Then I would lose their address as they sound a little over priced. If you watch Ebay or check a few other salvage yards in Ohio you should be able to find a good set for close to or less than what you paid for the ones you bought.

Comment

Originally posted by DCII View Post
                        If it is an option I would return them to the salvage yard for the correct ones or at least get your money back. Then I would lose their address as they sound a little over priced. If you watch Ebay or check a few other salvage yards in Ohio you should be able to find a good set for close to or less than what you paid for the ones you bought.
                        I have been watching ebay, I actually think I got these kinda cheap I've seen ones that have sold on ebay exactly like these for over $100 per side. The guy at the salvage yard said he wasn't sure exactly what model they were for but did know they went to a yamaha xs1100 so it wasn;t his fault and I didn;t know exactly what I was looking for either, just took a chance, but the other set was identical except it had a different Emblem on the cover, the only broken piece was the little tab that fits into the lock on the left side, I'll post some pics of it later tonight.

I don't mind being called crazy, I just have to always keep in mind before I do something that the line between crazy and stupid is a very very fine line.

Damian

Comment

Working...
                        X