NEWLY Acquired 81 Venturer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEWLY Acquired 81 Venturer

Just bought this 81 Venturer with 18K miles...VIN confirms it is the real deal
    Yes, I'm aware it has the Special handlebars on it (for now)
    Now all I have to do is sit back wait for the transport to
    show-up in front of my house and then the NEW fun begins again!!!
    Will post more pics when it gets here and gets it's 1st bath (from me)
    Current Rides:
    02 GL1800 Wing
    79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
    81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Looks to be a nice scoot Tom! As you say, not much has been changed on it, cept for the bars, mirrors(flat black round was original), and the optional Yammy accessory slide-in back rest(originally was a taller tapered with the zip bag). The original lock keys for the side cases had L and R marked on them. If no case keys, take the lock assemblies to a specialty key shop and have them match the tumblers to use one key. They are different lock/key configuration from the right side fairing cover, so cant have all three the same. Other than those minute differences, looks to not need much cept the normal TLC.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
      Looks to be a nice scoot Tom! As you say, not much has been changed on it, cept for the bars, mirrors(flat black round was original), and the optional Yammy accessory slide-in back rest(originally was a taller tapered with the zip bag). The original lock keys for the side cases had L and R marked on them. If no case keys, take the lock assemblies to a specialty key shop and have them match the tumblers to use one key. They are different lock/key configuration from the right side fairing cover, so cant have all three the same. Other than those minute differences, looks to not need much cept the normal TLC.
      Thanks for the comments, as far as the back rest goes, I have a mint condition Venturer factory luggage rack with the taller tapered one and the zipperered bag (the one on the bike also has a zipper bag) that I'll prolly swap-out the whole thing as the one I have is really in "mint" condition...
      Current Rides:
      02 GL1800 Wing

Comment

Better Picture

Bike should be mid-next week.
        Already have a replacemant seat cover order...
        Here's a better pic I got from the seller..
        Last edited by tv5150; 06-13-2012, 11:14 AM.
        Current Rides:
        02 GL1800 Wing

Comment

Looks good...even still has the chain lock assembly on it. One thing...prior to removing that slide-in back rest, put some Kroil or WD40 on the pressure locking thumb-knobs and studs before loosening or the studs will twist off.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

seat

I just don't know how you could have bought that with that seat.I mean Man did he see you coming(just kidding)NICE FIND!! Heck look at those pipes.Have fun.

Comment

I have one. I'll tell you, the stock seat is one of the best seats for long rides. I recommend against the king/queen seat replacement and to keep that one. You even got the lowers with the faring. Nice.
              Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Nice score!
                x2 on that seat! Very comfortable for long distance riding.
                Backrest looks like the one I had on the 80G.
                http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/80_XS11G.jpg

Rack looks to be correct.
                http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...Venturer-1.jpg
                Richard

Comment

Originally posted by skids View Post
                  I have one. I'll tell you, the stock seat is one of the best seats for long rides. I recommend against the king/queen seat replacement and to keep that one. You even got the lowers with the faring. Nice.
                  That's what I've heard about the stock seat, and why I ordered the replacement cover from the folks at B&H Specialites (a bit pricey at $151.50 to my door) but I definetly want to keep it as close to stock appearance-wise. Good thing you can't see progressive fork springs and a K&N air filter. One thing I do plan on adding that can be seen is another Tkat fork brace (which made a big differance on my 79 SF) From what I was told the by the seller, the PO that he bought it from a couple of months ago had gone thru the carbs and the front end, but he stopped short of knowing ALL the details. This was his 1st street-legal bike (he grew-up on dirt bikes) and I think he had recently witnessed an aftermath of an accident and his better half had decided his young family needed him more than he needed this bike. Hell, I'm old and worn-out and if I died yesterday it wouldn't make a fuss for anyone (IF I were a cat with 9 lives, I would have been gone A LONG TIME ago)...
                  So I was glad to help him out and take it off his hands
                  Last edited by tv5150; 06-13-2012, 07:24 PM.
                  Current Rides:
                  02 GL1800 Wing

Comment

More Pics

Here's a couple more pics the seller sent me
                    You can tell the bike is REALLY dusty...
                    But, once I get it, it won't be for long!!!

Current Rides:
                    02 GL1800 Wing

Comment

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
                      Nice score!
                      x2 on that seat! Very comfortable for long distance riding.
                      Backrest looks like the one I had on the 80G.
                      http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...s/80_XS11G.jpg

Rack looks to be correct.
                      http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...Venturer-1.jpg
                      Yep, and I have another Venturer rack and the taller version of the backrest that is in "mint" condition that I'm gonna swap out the rack section with and see which backrest I like better. I know it prolly won't be near as "almost scary" fast as my 79 SF with it (Venturer) having the full-dress get-up on it, but I sure hope it runs close. I had a 79 SF new back in 79 and ended-up with a Windjammer on it after the 1st year. Left it on until 85 when I traded it for a new 85 V-Max and took the WJ off and it sure made alot of differance in the way the bike ran nakid...
                      Current Rides:
                      02 GL1800 Wing

Comment

Originally posted by tv5150 View Post
                        Good thing you can't see progressive fork springs and a K&N air filter.
                        No need to........the Venturer came from factory with progressive springs.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
                          No need to........the Venturer came from factory with progressive springs.
                          WOW, that's great to know...Thanks for the info, keep it coming!
                          Current Rides:
                          02 GL1800 Wing

Comment

More Pics

Here's a couple more up-close of the engine...

Current Rides:
                            02 GL1800 Wing

Comment

Originally posted by tv5150 View Post
                              WOW, that's great to know...Thanks for the info, keep it coming!
                              OK...........they handle like a tank compared to a Special not having the shorter 16" rear wheel and not having the leading front axle. They're still quick and will hang dead even with a same year Special.......up to 65mph, then mother nature takes over with the barn door on the front. Once up and running properly, i highly advise you install a TKat fork brace or that scoot WILL raise your pucker factor a few notches higher than you like pushing it a bit in corners, even if not intentional! Just been my experience with 45yrs. of street and moto-cross under my belt. It can get ugly before you can counter-react, specially on a loaded Venturer! It's a tourer and a decent canyon carver, but don't push the envelope....BTDT. Looks like it will give you many years of service and enjoyment!

Comment

Working...
                              X