Washer in crankcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer in crankcase

While working at getting the new head on the yammy, i dropped a cam cap washer into the crankcase.

After taking every cover off and probing every cavity trying to find it, I've decided to reach out and see if any of you folks have a remedy for finding this.

Don't think I want to be riding this down the highway and it lockup on me.....

Thanks

Kevin
    KJ

Um, fish for it with lil' magnet on a flexy cable?
    Get six burly friends to help turn the bike upside down and shake it?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Air jets

Shoot jets of air around till you hear it move and clink...
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Is the head actually installed on the bike? Have you drained the oil and removed the sump?

The washer went down the camchain tunnel. It may be sitting on the tensioner blade assembly. Use a telescopic magnet (like a car aerial with a small, poweful magnet on it) to probe around the tunnel. Shine down the tunnel with a flashlight.

Use a flashlight to look into the engine where you took the sump off. Look very carefully to see if the washer is sitting there somewhere. If so, use the magnet to get it. If not visible, get someone to turn the rear wheel slowly and go through all the gears up and down repeatedly. Also reverse direction of the rear wheel and rotate in each gear. If they feel any resistance, stop turning and reverse direction slightly. Keep a sharp eye on the gearbox cogs as the washer could be stuck on one of them. Probe around with the magnet too.

If you're lucky, the washer may have gone straight through to the sump but check the tensioner assembly. When I did exactly what you've done I found the washer sitting on that assembly and fished it out with the magnet.
        XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

I had this very thing happen to me last year. After trying to find it from the top with a telescoping magnet for days, I pull the oil pan off probed to the front of the engin with the magnet and found it right away.
          Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
          80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
          82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
          82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
          82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
          72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
          72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Likely dropped to the pan..........and that's pretty much where it's gonna stay. It no longer can get back to the tranny gears as the sump is too low, and the oil pump pick-up screen is too fine. Really would'nt worry bout it untill the time may come to drop the the pan to do tranny gear-fix......BTDT.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

magnet

some hardware stores sell a magnet on a bendable rod for about $5.00.
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

It's probably in the pan. Like motoman said, that little washer isn't too big of a worry even if it does get into something.

Drain the oil and pull the pan if it worries you.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  Like motoman said, that little washer isn't too big of a worry even if it does get into something.
                  I really think it would be quite a problem if it got into something, either from locking the rear wheel or jamming a selector or damaging teeth. What Motoman said was" likely dropped to the pan. It can no longer get into the tranny gears". I think, without doubt, even a small steel washer like that would cause serious damage to the engine/rider if it did get into something like between the teeth of meshing gears in the transmission

Personally, I would remove the pan and try to find it.
                  XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

You could be right James but years of experince in the automotive repair business tell me that that tiny washer, if it was to get caught up in any gears which would doubtfully happen, would be pulverized in a fraction of a second and become oil filter fodder.

Not a desirable thing to happen but, lockup? I seriously doubt. Maybe a strange rattle for a second while it's being consumed. I did the same thing on my SG engine and I don't remember ever finding it.

James is right though, you should drop the pan and try to find it.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Washer

I did the very same thing during my SF restore. I was unable to find it, even though my pan was still off the motor. I have changed the oil and few times now and it hasn't come out yet.Good News is that it hasn't. Caused any problems yet.
                      mack
                      79 XS 1100 SF Special
                      HERMES
                      original owner
                      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                      SPICA
                      http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                      IOTA
                      https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                      https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                      Frankford, Ont, Canada
                      613-398-6186

Comment

I'm with the others that say forget about it. Been there/done that. That little thing will sit flat down in the pan until you get around to fishing it out when you drop the pan. If you still feel the need, you can drop the pan and on the front of the engine, there's a little ledge up above the pan that you can't really see from above, but where 99.9% of anything you drop from the top ends up.

Again, I'd just get another washer and go, but you could also buy a magnetic oil drain plug off of Ebay for a little extra comfort of the mind.
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                          would be pulverized in a fraction of a second and become oil filter fodder. Not a desirable thing to happen but, lockup? I seriously doubt.
                          Yes, I dare say you're right. It's quite a thin washer too, isn't it?. I'd always be thinking along the lines of it getting trapped and damaging something, that's all. Or chipping a tooth off or something. Then again, if it would be chomped up immediately with no damage, I could live with that...

I'd look for it with the pan off but, if still it can't be found, I would just run the bike! I suppose that way, if something did go wrong, you could honestly tell yourself "I did try to find it!"

As everyone has said though, it's either on that little shelf or in the pan and I think you'd have to be very unlucky for it to cause a big problem...... I'd still have a little look for it though..

Comment

Nothing wrong with you thinking James, we're just the voices of experience speaking up.

I'll bet THOUSANDS of those washers have been dropped down into these engines and the worse thing I can remember reading about is it getting caught in the cam chain and kicking the adjuster out of adjustment.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Washers out of crankcase!

Hello all!

Good news, the crankcase pan was removed and I found both washers.

This 31 year old yammy will be running and road ready again after 18 years of idle time.

On another note, does anyone have an idea of what the average compression for these engines at about 30K on them?

I also need caliper kits for the front brakes and new fork seals. Anyone have old stock they would like to part with?
                              KJ

Comment

Working...
                              X