What oil coolers are a direct fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What oil coolers are a direct fit?

I noticed on ebay a few xs850 oil coolers...are those a direct fit for a 79 special? im planning on ordering a spin on adapter from tc btw....
    79 XS11 special "Loki" - homemade 4-2 exhaust, pod filters, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, tkat fork brace, progressive shocks, rebuilt all brakes and MC's, rebuilt carbs with #142.5 main and #42.5 pilot, a custom front and chin fairing, and a handmade set of saddlebags....

09 YZF-R1 " Toothless"

04 Buell XB12R "Butterfly"

"I had a name at some point, a birth-name, but now everyone just calls me Wolf...."

Wolf
    Moto Militia MC

Originally posted by airborneXS View Post
    I noticed on ebay a few xs850 oil coolers...are those a direct fit for a 79 special? im planning on ordering a spin on adapter from tc btw....
    TC also has a oil cooler spin on adaptor. Then all you need to fund is the radiator and lines, and thermostat if you want one.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      and thermostat .
      You mean temperature gauge, don't you? The oil cooler system doesn't have a thermostat... it's on all the time.
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
        You mean temperature gauge, don't you? The oil cooler system doesn't have a thermostat... it's on all the time.
        No I meant thermostat. Some aftermarket units came with them.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Thermostat

My Lockhart that is on my 79F has a thermostat, the stock Yamaha I took off the parts bike doesn't have one.
          1979XS1100SF
          K&N's and drilled airbox
          Jardine 4in1
          Dunlop Elite 3's
          JBM slide diaphragms
          142.5 main jets
          45 pilot jets
          T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
          750/850 FD mod.
          XV 920 Needle Mod.
          Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
          Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

No I meant thermostat. Some aftermarket units came with them.
            Oh right. I thought he was talking about XS850 oil coolers on eBay. The OEM ones were permanently on on the 850 and 1100.
            XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
              Oh right. I thought he was talking about XS850 oil coolers on eBay. The OEM ones were permanently on on the 850 and 1100.
              Yeah. I don't know if I like that though, especially living in a colder climate.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Yeah. I don't know if I like that though, especially living in a colder climate.
                A few degrees of ambient temperature isn't going to make that much difference Nate. As far as I can see the thermostat is just another unnecessary part that can go bad.

I had an oil cooler on my SG until I put the fairing on but had to remove it for the fairing mount. I really havent noticed a difference. But then I haven't checked engine temp either.

It does seem to overheat quicker in stop and go city traffic though on further reflection.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                  A few degrees of ambient temperature isn't going to make that much difference Nate. As far as I can see the thermostat is just another unnecessary part that can go bad.

I had an oil cooler on my SG until I put the fairing on but had to remove it for the fairing mount. I really havent noticed a difference. But then I haven't checked engine temp either.

It does seem to overheat quicker in stop and go city traffic though on further reflection.
                  Not talking summer times. I am thinking more very early spring or very late fall.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Not talking summer times. I am thinking more very early spring or very late fall.
                    And your point is?

A 40º-50º ambient temp difference is going to be maybe 5º difference in temperature of say 300º oil going through the cooler. The thermostat will only make a difference if the oil is below it's setting.

Once your engine is warmed to operating temperature that thermostat will stay open. The only thing I can see it doing is allowing the engine to warm up faster. Or, failing and not opening at all or staying open all the time.

I would guess that is why Yamaha never put one in there stock.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Man you are argumentative!

I currently don't have an oil cooler so it all really doesn't matter.

I would be interested to see the oil temp difference between having a cooler and not having one though.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Man you are argumentative!

DUDE!!!!! me?
                        Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Temp difference back in '78 was about 25F over MOST conditions. This is without a thermostat. When I was riding in the desert, it made about a 40 degree difference.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

It does make a temp difference for sure. I want mine back.

What I was saying is the difference in oil temps from 80ºF to 40ºF with AMBIENT air temps with an OPEN cooler will only be about 5º.

The thermostat is unnecessary in my opinion.
                            Last edited by BA80; 06-12-2012, 08:21 PM.
                            Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Sorry to have to ask this but what's TC?
                              1980 XS1100G
                              -4:2 exhaust
                              -Pods
                              -Who knows what the future holds..

Comment

Working...
                              X