1100 will not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1100 will not start

I've been having trouble trying to start the engine so did the prevous owner, anyway having read a thread to due with starter button. which ratbyk said could be the resistor I went and by pasted the resistor and it fired before it completed 1 rev, to me this sounds like resistor working all the time how can I over come this Ie testing wiring and things. hope someone can help .

Thanks paul67

A few owners have reported that the ballast resistor was givin' them hell because it was shorting to ground. If, on the other hand, you have a bad resistor making infinite resistance, you should be able to check it for ohms.
    Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Ballast Resistor

Your diagnosis certainly indicates that your present B Resistor is defective simply replace it. If you cannot get an original locally put out a request to the forum. Someone will have an extra to help you out.
      If that fails go to any good automotive parts supplier. Pick through their assortment of ballast resistors for one of a suitable size. It should have about 3 volts of Resistance. In other words it should have battery voltage in; (approximately 12V ) and 9V out.
      Happy starting!
      Ken/Sooke
      78E Ratbyk
      82 FT500 "lilRat"

Comment

The resistor should be by passed in the start circuit. The coils need a full 12v, or what ever voltage is available when cranking, but only need 9v when running. If it is still being powered when cranking, then there is a problem with the wiring. If you need a resistor, I do have one I can sell you.
        I was just checking the wiring diagram in my Clymer manual, but it is hard to figure out the circuit. I do know how the circuit works on a car, and it should be the same fundamentally for the bike, and I have read that there are some errors in the diagrams in the Clymer manuals. If it starts well with it by passed, and not with it connected, then you are correct in thinking that the resistor is bad.

Comment

will not start

found cause after running tester trying put switch into system found out that the relay had been wired the wrong way running 9volts to start and 12 on run lucky that due to trike having a rigid frame did not go far as it tries to break your back

thanks for the input paul67

Comment

Working...
          X