Mac exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac exhaust

I was wondering how the Mac 4-2 exhaust sounds. I came across this video today of an XS with Vance and Hines and love the way it sounds.

If the Mac doesnt sound like this, does anyone know a good place to find some headers to make my own 4-2?
    Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
    Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
    Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
    Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
    Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
    K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
    81 XJ650 Maxim

I think I have a headache from his video. Yes the pipes sound decent. Would like to see his face the first time he gets caught in the rain with the bike and no front fender. Don't know about the Macs but I have a Kerker on eBay right now but its ending pretty soon. Sounds very much like a modern Sport bike with the Kerker. For Exhaust you can keep your stock headers and cut the pipes off after the collectors (leave as much as you can) then install anyones slip-ons over the stubs. This is my XS with some mufflers from JC Whitney. Any 1.75" slip on will work. It's not as smooth sounding as my XJ but I think that is due to the crossover between the 2 mufflers on stock pipes.

Last edited by WSL91; 06-10-2012, 06:28 PM.
    1970? Honda Z50... gone
    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
    1974 Honda CB200... gone
    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

Best example I can give is this video. I know everyone has seen it repeatedly but here. The second bike is me with the Mac 4 into 2 turnout exhaust. It is the same exhaust as in your video but with different mufflers.

click on the pic.....
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I have the 4-1 exhaust on it right now. Am I correct in thinking those headers wont work for a 4-2 with slip on mufflers?
        Nate

78 XS11 "Matilda" 2H7 000364

2001 Raptor ACCT, T.C. Fuse Box, TC Bros Forward Controls
        Kuryakyn Iso Grips/Throttleboss/Bar End Mirror, Custom Covered Seat
        Shinko 712s, HID Headlight, RC Performance Exhaust
        Bikemaster Daytona Handlebars, Galfer SS Brake Lines
        Barnett HD Clutch Springs, T.C. Spin On Filter Adapter
        K+N Air Filter

88 Voyager XII
        81 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Yes.........................that would be correct..........
          Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

It appears no one is making exhaust for the XS1100 any longer. MAC does not list any offerings. There are a lot of new MAC exhausts listed on eBay. I went ahead and bought one as this may be the last chance.

Yamaha Parts House

Powersports Plus (free shipping)

Other retailers have it, but these were the best deal I found. I expect that sooner than later, we'll have to pay the asking price + shipping on eBay

Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Hell... I'm glad I don't live near him. I bet life is pretty unbearable for people who live nearby. It's bikes like that, which make a racket, that give bikes a bad name IMO. I'd be a bit embarrassed to be seen (or rather heard) riding something that sounds like a light aircraft!

In the case of the XS1100, it's completely unnecessary and does virtually nothing in terms of performance, especially if the carbs haven't been rejetted and the airbox seriously modified or replaced with pods. Also, a balance pipe is, IMO, a must for the XS1100.
              Last edited by James England; 06-23-2012, 07:57 AM.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

James,

Are you making reference to the video in the early post? I'm not a fan of loud pipes either.

The only new 4 into 1 exhaust is MAC. They have no crossover pipe. The exception is the stainless system found on your restoration. Most of us don't love our bike that much. $$$$

I just came across this: MARSHALL Deeptone FULL 4-1 System

Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                  The only new 4 into 1 exhaust is MAC. They have no crossover pipe.
                  LOL.....why would a 4 into 1 need a crossover Marty?
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Somebody tried to order a Marshall system a year or so ago; after much phone tag, moving delivery dates and broken promises, he gave up...
                    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                    '82 XJ rebuild project
                    '80SG restified, red SOLD
                    '79F parts...
                    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Yes, I certainly was referring to that. I've heard the 'loud pipes save lives' thing and believe that one is not riding properly if in any way dependent on someone else's reaction (or non-reaction) to anything, including one's bike making a racket.

The Marshall Deeptone exhaust is extremely popular here in the UK. I've had three XS1100's with Deeptones on. They are still available new. and last for years. They make a nice sound without being loud and raucous. Some people drill holes in the end baffle to make them louder but on the one bike I had where this had been done, I blocked them all up with a steel plate.

Here's my old XS1100 with a Marshall Deeptone. You can see the plate I put on.

The Deeptone is a good, solid, civilised exhaust system that does not require any re-jetting of the carbs.

James,

Are you making reference to the video in the early post? I'm not a fan of loud pipes either.

The only new 4 into 1 exhaust is MAC. They have no crossover pipe. The exception is the stainless system found on your restoration. Most of us don't love our bike that much. $$$$

Last edited by James England; 06-23-2012, 11:14 AM.
                      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Still available new

I just found this. You can buy them in the USA cheaper than here in the UK!!! Not fair! They cost $550 here...

http://www.laser-exhausts.com/cgi-bi...ey=218356.3005
                        Last edited by James England; 06-23-2012, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Marshall used to make a 4-2 system for these bikes also, that was what he was trying to buy. Apparently those are now discontinued.

Not everybody likes 4-1 exhaust...
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                            Not everybody likes 4-1 exhaust...
                            I don't like 'em! I wasn't aware that Marshall ever made a 4 into 2 system. Maybe it was export only, as I've never seen them advertised here in the UK and never seen one

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                              LOL.....why would a 4 into 1 need a crossover Marty?
                              I was thinkin' 4 into 2, but my fingers weren't on board.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X