Final Drive Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Drive Question

I finally got around to takeing the final drive off today to grease the splines. While I had it off I decided to drain it and put in fresh oil. When i took out the drain plug it had a pile of grease on top of it. Should the final drive have grease inside of it or do I need to take it apart and clean the grease out?

Thanks, Mitch
    82 XJ1100
    Very Little that is factory left.
    Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Originally posted by va_blue_stang View Post
    I finally got around to takeing the final drive off today to grease the splines. While I had it off I decided to drain it and put in fresh oil. When i took out the drain plug it had a pile of grease on top of it. Should the final drive have grease inside of it or do I need to take it apart and clean the grease out?

Thanks, Mitch
    You removed the drain plug and oil came out of the drive, correct? Then, when you looked at the drain plug, you saw the 'grease' correct? I think you are referring to a metallic-looking sludge which forms on top of the drain plug. It can be very thick and resemble grease but it isn't. It's small particles of metal which have worn off inside the FD and the drain plug (which is magnetic) attracts them and forms a blob. You should wipe it all off and rinse it clean with a solvent. If there is a lot of the stuff, I would personally rinse out the entire FD with white spirit by filling it (with the drain plug in) and turning the rear wheel loads of times by hand. Then drain out the liquid and leave it to drip out for 24 hours, during which you should turn the rear wheel occaasionally. Then fill with gear oil, using the toolkit dipstick to get the level right.

Check your LHS rear wheel bearing whilst you're at it! I have one left....
    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
    X