Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• braided hose

Hi
    I have an aftermarket oil cooler that I want to install along with braided hose and AN fittings. I don't know which size to use : 8-AN or 10-AN ? 8 has an i.d. od 3/8", and 10 = 1/2"
    Which one would you recommend ? anyone tried this before ?
    thanks !!!
    Raphael

What is the diameter of the braided hose you are using? I had cooler from a Yamaha 80 XS850 SG on my 80 XS11SG for many years. I had to do some Mickey Mousing with the hoses, as the OEM hose was about 5/8, and the nipples on the oil filter adapter were 1/2, so I used 1/2 ID hose. I will flow more oil to and from the cooler. Your sitution depends on what size nipples are on the cooler, and on the adapter plate at the filter.

Comment

The cooler and adapter are threaded for 3/8" NPT fittings. the equivalent size is 8-AN. Russel and Aeroquip say their 8-AN braided hose has an i.d. of 7/16", which is close to the stock line .
      I don't want to restrict flow, but I think 10-AN is too big.
      thanks for your reply
      Raph

Comment

where can i getthe plate for the oil cooler?And will it work on a 82 xj 11 ? Thanks in advance.
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

I got mine from ebay and you can find them from time to time...
          Mine is a stock adapter with oil passages threaded to 3/8"NPT so you can install AN or brass fittings ( not recommended for pessured lines ...). It"s easy to do and you can return to stock.

Comment

The factory oil cooler from an '81H will fit the XJ. Two recommendations: replace the original lines with new ones and take the time to make sure the lines do not hit the exhaust pipes. (The '81 H has a couple extra tabs welded to the frame tubes. These tabs act as mounting points for the oil line brackets that route the hoses past the pipes.) The oil cooler mounts to the tapped holes in the frame under the steering head. If you have a Vetter or Pacifico frame-mount fairing you may need to get creative with the mounting bracket for the cooler.
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Thanks for that info.I already have the cooler. New lines deffinetly,Ill post on the swap market for the plate and bolt( I supose my bolt will be to short with the added thickness of plate)I heard this mod is actualy worth a few ponys.
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Working...
              X