Help me get riding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me get riding!

Got my "new" XJ1100 started. It runs through the diagnostics and then the "warning" light flashes. The Battery window remains lite and the indicator seems to show it is not charging. I am hoping that there is some kind of master fuse or somthing that is easy to find and fix that could be causing the problem. Any suggestions?
    1982 XJ 1100 J
    1977 XS 750
    1974 Jeep J20 (401, Turbo 400)

Originally posted by alaskaxj11 View Post
    Got my "new" XJ1100 started. It runs through the diagnostics and then the "warning" light flashes. The Battery window remains lite and the indicator seems to show it is not charging. I am hoping that there is some kind of master fuse or somthing that is easy to find and fix that could be causing the problem. Any suggestions?
    Is the wire to the battery sensor hooked up? The wire goes to a plug that is between the 4th and 5th cell of the battery. If someone put a "Will fit" battery, that didn't have the sensor, you will get that reaction.
    If you don't have that in your battery, use the search function and look up the tech tip that tells how to bypass that sensor. CZ

Comment

Get a volt meter and hook it to the battery with it running. At idle, these bikes really don't charge the battery, but rev it up above 1500 and you should see the voltage start rising. If it doesn't raise the voltage you have other issues to look at, but if it is charging, it's the sensor that CZ mentioned.
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

*On rethinking, all that dash light is is that sensor CZ mentioned. If your bike isn't charging, and the battery fluid level is up, that light will still not come on. Fluid level is all that is checking.

So... still make sure the bike is charging, but if you want that light off, you'll have to do the fix CZ mentioned or get a battery that has a hole for the sensor.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

For some reason Yamaha went to 'level' indicators on the XJ; all the warning indicators monitor fluid levels, not system operation. So a 'battery' indication means your electrolyte level is low (or the sensor isn't hooked up or is malfunctioning) and has nothing to do with whether or not the charging system is putting out enough power...

Oops... Tod beat me to it...
          Last edited by crazy steve; 06-10-2012, 09:08 AM.
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

thanks for the help

The bike had no battery with I bought it. Went to Batteries Plus and they sold me a no maintenance battery. I will look for the sensor to see if it is hooked up. The bike can't be checking battery fluid level. Don't have a meter to check the voltage. Good to know that the unit does not charge until 1500 RPM and that the guage is not indicating charging. An Alt meter would be nice.

Hay TRBIG, my brother in-law is visiting Anchorage from Cache, OK, near Lawton.
            Last edited by alaskaxj11; 06-10-2012, 09:34 PM.
            1982 XJ 1100 J
            1977 XS 750
            1974 Jeep J20 (401, Turbo 400)

Comment

If the tach is working its charging. I have the same deal going on with mine I just clear out the light every time I get on it.
              1982 xj 1100
              "The Ape"
              http://youtu.be/AiQ8CqclHr4

Comment

The bike had no battery with I bought it. Went to Batteries Plus and they sold me a no maintenance battery. I will look for the sensor to see if it is hooked up.
                Yep, there's your problem. Those batteries do not have the hole for the sensor, so you can put a resister in the sensor line and fool the brain box into thinking everything is OK.

Here, I'll save you some time, although, a trip through the tech tips is one of the better ways to spend some time.

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-t...liminator.html

CZ

Comment

- - - Don't have a meter to check the voltage. - - -
                  Hi Robert,
                  you don't need no steenkin' meter unless you are doing serious diagnostics.
                  If the tach works, at least the alternator coil that works it is OK.
                  If the headlight gets brighter past 1,500rpm it's charging to some extent even if it's not at 100%.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

my xj does the same thing. i end up having to clean the sensor with fine steel wool and fill with distilled water.

Comment

Originally posted by bcknblkbird View Post
                      my xj does the same thing. i end up having to clean the sensor with fine steel wool and fill with distilled water.
                      Awhaw, so the gauge is working as intended. How old is your battery, and how many times have you had to add water?
                      If you hadn't had it, and not noticed the gauge, the battery would have continued to dehydrate, and then, you have had to buy a new battery because this one is all sulfated.
                      Clever, those Japanese. CZ

Comment

Working...
                      X