Fuel in the air filter housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel in the air filter housing

I pulled the carbs and installed new intake manifolds. Got it back together and started. I have idle at 3k to 5k and gas dripping into the air filter housing. Any thoughts?

1982 XJ1100
    1982 XJ 1100 J
    1977 XS 750
    1974 Jeep J20 (401, Turbo 400)

Probably a stuck float or a clogged needle letting gas pour out of the intake. Time to look at your carbs up close and personal.
    "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by alaskaxj11 View Post
      I pulled the carbs and installed new intake manifolds. Got it back together and started. I have idle at 3k to 5k and gas dripping into the air filter housing. Any thoughts?

1982 XJ1100
      Is gas dripping while its running or when it stops running (both)? You might have leaky petcocks and leaky needle seat(s). If it does it while its running then you likely have a float hung up. Just wrap on the side of the carb bank with a screwdriver handle, it might knock a float lose and seal up...

For the idle, you probably bumped the idle screw, you just need to turn it back down.
      Last edited by WMarshy; 06-07-2012, 09:43 PM.
      '79 XS11 F
      Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
      Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
      GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Fuel runs when the petcock is open (either side) whether the motor is running or not. I read something about a diaphram?
        1982 XJ 1100 J
        1977 XS 750

Comment

Fuel runs when the petcock is open (either side) whether the motor is running or not. I read something about a diaphram?
          Be careful, if you have gas pouring out the carb inlet then it's likely running into the engine too (common problem we see). Two things are of concer...

1. While running, that much extra fuel will wash the oil from the cylinder walls and eventually score your sleeve/piston. Dont continue to run it untill you get this figured out.

2. When its not running, gas will flood into the combustion chamber through an open valve and get past your piston rings eventually flooding your engine oil, thinning it out and can lead to damaged bearings.

With that said, you have 2 issues going on here. Your petcocks (octy for the XJ) are leaking and so are your float needles. You might be lucky in that the float(s) are hung up. Try wrapping on the side of the outer carbs with a screw driver handle to knock them loose. My guess is you need to perform a carb cleaning though... What was its running condition prior to installing new intake boots? Search the repair section of the forum for tips on cleaning these carbs... GL
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

Love this forum

I tapped the carbs and the problem disapeared. Thanks for the tip.
            1982 XJ 1100 J
            1977 XS 750

Comment

I tapped the carbs and the problem disapeared. Thanks for the tip.
              No problem, check your oil level and make sure it didn't mysteriously increase.
              '79 XS11 F
              Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
              Stock, no title.

Comment

Oil level?

Actually, I have lost oil. Not leaking, not burning, just gone. The guys at the Yamaha shop suggested Yamalube Performance Semi-Synthetic 10W-50. Is that oil okay? I doubt that they were using Semi-Synthetic in 1982
                1982 XJ 1100 J
                1977 XS 750

Comment

Actually, I have lost oil. Not leaking, not burning, just gone. The guys at the Yamaha shop suggested Yamalube Performance Semi-Synthetic 10W-50. Is that oil okay? I doubt that they were using Semi-Synthetic in 1982
                  I would avoid synthetic for now. Quite often it makes the clutch slip.
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Working...
                  X