Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Owner Has some questions!

Hey~!

My name is colby, i'm 23 and just bought my step fathers 1980 xs1100 midnight S. This is my first cruiser, i used to own a 1997 GSXR 750, but i crashed that screwing around and being a jack ass trying to take corners too fast. Either way here I am with a new toy and its time to get it all fixed up.

The questions i have are listed as below:

1. The clutch is slipping a little, i was told their is some addin fluid that you can get only at NAPA that you add to and oil change(i think) and it will help prevent the clutch from slipping.

2. I do not like the handel bars that it has on it (stock) and was wondering if i can replace them with an after market set or from the standard 1980 xs1100?

Reply back or shoot me an email at crxracerx@hotmail.com

I am makeing it custom as possible and i got differnt turn signals, brake lights, head lights, side markers. All of the lights are LED's and the front headlight is an HID like in high end cars. I bet it will be the most custom xs1100 out on the road!

~colby

Yes, you can change the handlebars, just check the lenght of the cables and brake lines. And how do switchthingies mount on the current bars...

Clutch slipping... adjust the clutch. There is a tip in the tech tips section on how to do that.
    You have to take off the cover on the right side of the bike (two screws) and loosen the small screw in the middle, now adjust the bolt around it and tighten the screw, replace cover. Read the tech tip on how it's done properly. If you cant adjust the clutch, replace it, don't f*ck around with oil additives.

LP
    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and help... I'll give that a shot.

I was wondering how these bikes are with power? Like i said i used to have a GSXR 750 and it was runing high 11's in the quarter mile, how does this bike hold up? Whats the power band like on it? with my GSXR once it hit about 8,000 it would scream and just start flying.

Thanks,

Colby

Comment

If you hit 11,000 rpm with an XS, I bet it will start to scream alright
        1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
        1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
        http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

what is the redline and base power of this bike?

Sorry for all the questions i haven't drove it yet, need to go buy a helmet first, cracked my old one.

Comment

In 1980, Yamaha claimed 95 HP according to this Cycleworld article:
            http://www.xs11.com/stories/cw1279.shtml

I *believe* the redline is either 8500 or 9500... I didn't ride today due to my weave (no, not my hair), so I can't run outside and check the tach.

*revision*

Ok, it is 8500rpm according to this article:
            http://www.xs11.com/stories/cycle178.shtml
            1979 XS11F Standard - Maya - 1196cc (out of order)
            1978 XS11E Standard - Nina - 1101cc
            http://www.livejournal.com/~xs11

Comment

in the "articles" section to the left of your screen: "The XS1100 is capable of speeds in excess of 135 mph and 11- second quarter-mile times."

She has some power...but she won't handle like your old bike. Check the tech tips for suspension upgrades.
              Dan
              1980 XS11 Special

Comment

Hey there Colby,

This bike is totally different in its handling characteristics from your Zip Splat. The steering is going to be actually easier at lower speeds, provided you don't get a set of bars that are too short/narrow vs. the stock. The wider the bars, the more leverage you will have. As for taking corners, this bike can drive decently, but you are limited with the size and type of tires you can put on it, so it's not going to be able to corner and hold if you try pushing it too far too fast. You mentioned about your inability to make a corner on your previous bike, did you end up driving off the road, or did your back tire slide out due to road crap!!??

We all preach learning how to countersteer. If you are not familiar with that term, then you will want to do a search and learn what it is and how to perform it!!!!

This bike has lots of torque, and it's power band starts at 3k rpm and continues right up to 8.5k. Remember, it's an older engine with older technology, respect that red line or you'll be buying a new engine SOON!!! You'll want to review many of the tech tips here which will get you familiar with your machine, how to care for it, routine maintanence, etc. There is a link in the links section where you can D/L a PDF Owner's manual(NOT REPAIR) for an 81Special/standard, very similar to your 80 Midnight Special.

And there are quite a few custom XS's out there, chopped, triked, etc.. It's great to be proud of your ride, just hope you respect it as well. Have fun, but be safe, glad to hear you use a helmet!!
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey Top,

Thanks for the info. My old bike i was taking a corner around 35-40 and hit a patch of concrete mixture that fell of the truck that just made the turn before me. The bikes back tire flew out (damn that 8k powerband) and dumped into on coming traffic and was totaled by a tuck that had hit it. I was fine, had full leathers and a helmet on so i walked away without a scratch, just bruised pride.

I used my step fathers helmet and went out for a ride last night. It is a very nice bike, lots of tourqe. For the size of the bike it handles pretty well. The only thing i do not like about it is that it doesn't have much of a top speed (at least not what I'm used to) but the bike is no slouch. I only got the bike up to about 110 and it was runing fine, but switching from a Super Sport bike to this Xs is a huge change of pace. All in all i like the bike and it was the a great buy for only spening 800$ on it. I will post some pics of it once i get done taking it apart and cleaning it all up.

I know they make a good deal of mods for this bike but i'm having toubles finding them, if anyone knows of a good link let me know. The bike has a new exhaust system on it but i think the carb needs to be rebuilt or just upgraded. Seems a little suggish off the line but after about 2K the sluggishness goes away.

Colby.

Comment

clutch tip. stay away from synthetic oil when I ran it my clutch slips
                    also if you start building some real horse power I tell you about a clutch trick that works great for drag racing
                    copy and paste
                    http://www.imagestation.com/members/turbox79

Comment

hi colby,you are right they are not the quickest of bike but you can go allday on the motorways at 90 to 110mph,what i like is when you are in top gear doing about 30mph you do not need to go down a gear they will just pull away right up to what ever speed you want with ease,were are you situated?

Comment

Hello Colby,
                        Welcome to XS ownership, and welcome to xs11.com. I got my xs 3 years ago and have learned very much here on this forum, from many nice people. Here are my suggestions to you.
                        1. Get a TKAT Fork Brace
                        2. Install Progressive fork springs & new fork oil
                        3. email Rob Mill for avalibilty of the XS/XJ CD - which contains shop manuals and microfiches for your bike. Do a search on the forum to find his email address.
                        4. Remove, disassemble, clean - clean -clean the carbs. then Syncronize them.
                        5. this is the Big One...read this whole website including the tech & mods section.

As far as performance goes...
                        we have a member that has GSXR F/I throttle bodies with a megasuirt controller on his XS11, and there have been a few turbo ones here and there.

There is little offered in aftermarket performance parts for the XS.
                        You can install a Dynojet carb kit, K&N filter (or 4 individual), 4-1 pipes etc - but thats about it without heavy modifications.

and last but not least..Good luck on having the nicest XS out there! I have saw some ones on European websites that were made into Wicked Streetfighters with inverted forks,huge front brakes etc. and such. If I find the pictues i will email you a few.

Ride Safe
                        Bill Woods
                        1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
                        1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
                        2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

go big save and get a turbo thats the only way to go on the street.Ill put my bike up aginst anybody on the street.
                          copy and paste

Comment

Turbo,

What state do you live in, my buddy has a Hayabusa that he dumped in about 8k worth of parts and upgrades. I don't know what it ran at the track but i know that that bike is fast as hell and so far not one person has beaten him in a race, but normally they do long distance freeway races (and with a top speed over 200 its no competition).

Whats your best run in the 1/4 mile??? 0-60 speed?

How much did the entire turbo kit cost and what did you pull the turbo off of?

Colby.

Comment

I have gone low 10s in colorado mile high air with it but this year I hoping it will go 9s I figured some stuff out that I was having problems with and adding an air shifter, my best mph was 146 and on 12 lbs of boost.I have an american turbo pak with an ajustable wastgate so I can run 0-15lbs of boost. my dad built the bike along time ago and I bought it from him 6 years ago and done alot of work to it. I used to have an r1 but couldnt aford it anymore so I sold it but thinking of buying another one. my buddy has a pretty fast busa that is turboed and will keep up to me pretty good on the street but he blows me away on the highway because I have no suspension.I also have a suzuki gs 1100 with a 10 inch slick and 1500cc so thats where all my time and money goes, my xs is just for fun beating up all the 10 thousand dollar bikes with a old 79xs.
                              copy and paste

Comment

Working...
                              X