Light problem on my 80 Xs 1100G Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light problem on my 80 Xs 1100G Standard

Need some advice. Really a dummy when it comes to electrical problems. My headlight has stopped working on both beams and the speedometer and tac backlight are out. The bike has a Vetter full fairing and the front blinkers work as well as the brake lites, license plate lite and tail light. Have changed headlight bulbs with a good one. the bike runs fine, all the fuses in the right side fuse box are ok.

anyone got any suggestions of further trouble shooting or how to fix? Inputs appeeciated.
    Turbodave:
    Running Against the Wind

Never forget our POWs/MIAs

Iron Butt Association #14500

There is a bundle of wires and connecters behind the headlight assembly, pull all of the connectors apart (one at a time) and check for corrosion and bad contact, clean as needed. You will often find the problem there. Another tip, go to your local auto parts store and buy a tube of "dielectric grease" and force it into all connectors when you have them apart, this will pretty much eliminate corroded connector problems in the future. I do this with every electrical connector I take apart. Do NOT use regular chassis or wheel bearing grease for this!
    buffalo
    80 XS1100SG

Comment

No Head light

I helped another XSer this afternoon with exactly the same problem as yours. Discovered a bad connection in the wiring that plugs into the reserve light relay. The blue wire was the power source and while prodding it with a test light the lights came on.
      We had started at the front and started back with a test light trying to find power. When we got to plug in block on the light relay pigtail we got lucky. Hope this helps.
      Ken/Sooke
      78E Ratbyk
      82 FT500"lilRat"

Comment

Light problem on my 80 XS 1100G

Guys thanks much for the speedy reply. Will use you advice and let you know if that works. Thanks sincerely
        Turbodave:
        Running Against the Wind

Comment

Re: No Head light

If you want to remove the reserve lighting unit altogether, here are some pictures on how to do it:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sidskids/rlu/rlu.htm

I think other models will be similar.

Originally posted by ratbyk
          I helped another XSer this afternoon with exactly the same problem as yours. Discovered a bad connection in the wiring that plugs into the reserve light relay. The blue wire was the power source and while prodding it with a test light the lights came on.
          (snip)
          Ken/Sooke
          Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Thanks much for the info and pics. I think I have another module and my try that, otherwise, I will consider your mod. these forums are awesome with help responses!!
            Turbodave:
            Running Against the Wind

Comment

to all helpers,
              Got it fixed, I had a replacement reserve light module. That fixed all the problems. Good to have some tech assistance on these great bikes.
              Turbodave:
              Running Against the Wind

Comment

Working...
              X