Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrong oil = slipping clutch = How To Clean The Clutch Plates ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrong oil = slipping clutch = How To Clean The Clutch Plates ???

so pretty much the title of the of the post. how do i clean the clutch plates after i put the wrong oil in the bike and it is causing the clutch to slip under a lot of load.

Thanks

Change your oil and ride the bike.... It might take a bit of riding, but if the clutch plates aren't damaged that should do it.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Normally 2 or 3 good days of riding and it'll clear up.
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

cool i was hoping it was that easy but i wasn't sure if i needed to do anything else

Comment

Thought I would ask...

What oil did you put in to cause clutch slip?
          '79 XS11 F
          Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
          Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
          GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

more than likely you used an oil that said Energy Conserving on the round label on the back of the can...which is what you DO NOT WANT. They have friction modifiers... mainly Moly and will cause the clutch to slip...Make sure to get a non energy conserving non Moly oil.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Exactly what i did, i used a oil that said "Energy Conserving"

I didn't notice the slip until i put my girl friend on the back and tried to accelerate up a hill. never really noticed it without her on it except when i was WOT and shifted real hard.

The oil i got doesn't specifically say its for motorcycles and wet clutches but it doesn't have the "Energy Conserving" label on it. i was wondering if there is a big difference between a generic oil and a motorcycle specific oil.

Has anybody noticed a difference?

Comment

Originally posted by a3dudek View Post
                Exactly what i did, i used a oil that said "Energy Conserving"

I didn't notice the slip until i put my girl friend on the back and tried to accelerate up a hill. never really noticed it without her on it except when i was WOT and shifted real hard.

The oil i got doesn't specifically say its for motorcycles and wet clutches but it doesn't have the "Energy Conserving" label on it. i was wondering if there is a big difference between a generic oil and a motorcycle specific oil.

Has anybody noticed a difference?
                I use el cheapo wal mart 20-50 oil.

Go to this link and the picture right off the bat shows you what you are looking for, and not looking for.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/api_mo...ifications.htm
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I used Turco(?) T-1 blended motorcycle oil with MPZ friction reducer that's supposed to impregnate the surfaces. Another "modified" oil to not use. Clutch started slipping when I'd roll on the throttle at 4k on the tach. Just changed oil to the T-4 straight petroleum oil. I hope time and miles with the non-additive oil clears up the problem.
                  82' XJ1100 turned "bagger" with Vetter Fairing.

Comment

Working...
                  X