Acceleration question 79 XS11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceleration question 79 XS11

I have a 1979 XS1100 with pods, not sure the size of the jets. Carbs appear fairly clean, no rust in tank. My Issue is, in first through fourth gear, I can really get her going. I have had it up to 95MPH in fourth gear, but as soon as I up shift to fifth she loses power and settles in at about 80MPH no matter how far I twist the throttle I can't her to go faster in fifth gear. What could cause this?

Here is a carb tuning how to I always liked for these CV carbs.

Clickety
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Hey there Keith,

Aside from the good link DGxser provided, what type/brand of PODS?! The Emgo cone shaped ones are known to have a prominent mounting lip that can interfere with the air flow thru the ports on the inlet bell and could be causing you problems....despite how it behaves in 1-4th gear.

Not knowing the size of the jets, and "appearing" clean tells us that you have probably NOT actually given them a proper disassembly and cleaning....there are fine aeration ports in the sides of the main jet needle/emulsion tube as well as the pilot jet. Also, the carbs need to be properly vac. synched so that they are working with each other and not against.

Other factors could also be contributing....too small mains, or running out of fuel....you didn't specify Standard or Special....different fuel valves for each, petcock vac. control vs. the Octy vac. control...both could be faulty, cracked vac. lines, timing plate not freely turning/rotating, so it could also be ignition and not carbs, or a little of both!

T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
        Hey there Keith,

Aside from the good link DGxser provided, what type/brand of PODS?! The Emgo cone shaped ones are known to have a prominent mounting lip that can interfere with the air flow thru the ports on the inlet bell and could be causing you problems....despite how it behaves in 1-4th gear.

Not knowing the size of the jets, and "appearing" clean tells us that you have probably NOT actually given them a proper disassembly and cleaning....there are fine aeration ports in the sides of the main jet needle/emulsion tube as well as the pilot jet. Also, the carbs need to be properly vac. synched so that they are working with each other and not against.

Other factors could also be contributing....too small mains, or running out of fuel....you didn't specify Standard or Special....different fuel valves for each, petcock vac. control vs. the Octy vac. control...both could be faulty, cracked vac. lines, timing plate not freely turning/rotating, so it could also be ignition and not carbs, or a little of both!

T.C.
        My head is starting to hurt. JK. Thanks for the response. I ran a wire through the ports on the emulsion tube but not the pilot jet. My next step could be to check out the size of the jets to determine whether or not they were changed when the pods were added. The Octy was removed by the PO. The vac lines appear to be in good shape. I will recheck them. The pods are Alphabet brand made in Australia. One pod covers two carbs.

Comment

sounds like it could be a main jet problem,
          id see what size jets u have and go from there.
          pete

new owner of
          08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
          1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
          zrx carbs
          18mm float height
          145 main jets
          38 pilots
          slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
          fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

Working...
          X