Run of dumb luck (purchases) lately.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run of dumb luck (purchases) lately.

Bought a Vetter WJ3 Fairing a while back and picked it up. Got it home and looking very close and its full of cracks. Too far to take back...... seller not helpful

Bought a set of XJ mufflers on ebay. Paid a fair amount for them but I did it, no one forced me. Was ok with the price had they been as presented. Got them, opened them up and the bottom of one is rusted through, the other has a bunch of road rash that couldn't be seem from the photos. They are on the way back

Bought an XS in April that the VIN didn't match the title (wont do that again). Still working on that but still believe I'm getting a title, recent activity with SOS police investigator.

Bought my XJ in Feb that had a different title issue that was worked out.

Ordered new handlebars and grips from Parts N more, set for a week before shipping. Checked with them and they said its due to the Canadian holiday. Canadian Holiday? I bought stuff from Canada? Darn, will be waiting on those for a while. I had no idea they were a Canadian seller. Nothing against Canada just the crazy laws about shipping across the border that delay shipments.

Bought ABS welding rod from a seller in England, I've never had problems getting stuff from England as I've bought m/c bearings and tractor parts over the years. Yep, 3 weeks and no one knows where the package is. Seller says they are shipping another.

Had a couple more small bike part purchases that didn't turn out as expected. I must be getting sloppy in my old age cause this didn't use to happen!

Was going to purchase some standard headers on ebay over the last couple days and the seller probably thought he was being interrogated. Sorry, that's how it has to be now. Ended up not bidding as they were missing the heat shields. The seller made the unfortunate comment of Yamaha pipes did not require heat shields. Well apparently he's one of those ebay resellers and had no idea what he was selling. He does now
    1970? Honda Z50... gone
    1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
    1974 Honda CB200... gone
    1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
    1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
    2008 Honda VTX 1800F
    1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
    1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

I should note that the WJ will ride again. Through a combination of plastic welding and a couple other repairs its close to going back on a bike. It wasn't real bad. Now if I just had my package of black ABS rod.....

I kind of wonder if due to the poor economy people are selling stuff that 5 years ago they would have discarded?
    1970? Honda Z50... gone
    1974 Honda CB200... gone
    2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
      I should note that the WJ will ride again. Through a combination of plastic welding and a couple other repairs its close to going back on a bike. It wasn't real bad. Now if I just had my package of black ABS rod.....

I kind of wonder if due to the poor economy people are selling stuff that 5 years ago they would have discarded?
      Maybe you could buy the ABS in a can, and back the crack with sheet ABS. I've rebuilt broken and missing parts using that method. You have to let them dry for a few days, so as to develope strength, but that is still better than waiting for Nanook. You can heat form the sheet into form fitting backing pieces, and then glue them on. And done carefully, the glue can be applied to provide a sixteenth of an inch buildup at a time. CZ

Comment

Should also note no problem with some parts I picked up from sellers here. Tom C was particularly helpful with parts!
        1970? Honda Z50... gone
        1974 Honda CB200... gone
        2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

ABS welding rods showed up yesterday ! 3 weeks from England, probably 2 days from England and 2.8 weeks at the USPS
          1970? Honda Z50... gone
          1974 Honda CB200... gone
          2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Originally posted by WSL91 View Post
            - - - The seller made the unfortunate comment of Yamaha pipes did not require heat shields. Well apparently he's one of those ebay resellers and had no idea what he was selling. He does now
            Hi John,
            Yes, the pipes did have them but if he said "require", he's right. Because the headers are double walled they don't get outrageously hot and the alleged heat shields are really just trim strips.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I had some not so good luck buying a fairing from a fella on here. Didn't package it well so the windshield cracked during shipping...Also forgot to send the key and the tank badge he said he was gonna send and now won't seem to return my calls. Gotta love that BS :/
              1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
              1993 Kawasaki ZR1100

Past Rides:
              1977 Yamaha XS400

Comment

Originally posted by KevRG View Post
                I had some not so good luck buying a fairing from a fella on here. Didn't package it well so the windshield cracked during shipping...Also forgot to send the key and the tank badge he said he was gonna send and now won't seem to return my calls. Gotta love that BS :/
                Who was it??
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights
                Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines
                Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Stuff from Parts and more is here. It shipped from a Buffalo NY address and arrived here quickly, much more so than I expected.
                  1970? Honda Z50... gone
                  1974 Honda CB200... gone
                  2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                    Who was it??
                    Matt78 was his name. Still seems to not answer my calls or text messages.
                    1979 Yamaha XS 1100 SF
                    1993 Kawasaki ZR1100

Past Rides:
                    1977 Yamaha XS400

Comment

Christmas in July

Well things went a little better last week. Picked up this pile of XJ parts very reasonably priced on eBay and in very good shape. I've nearly given up on a nice stock exhaust for the XS Special so it's getting XJ pipes. It's already running XJ head pipes. The aftermarket pipes are ok but just don't sound right to me without the crossover. All of this is going on the XS including the Venture Chrome Horns. I'll probably sell the aftermarket mufflers that are in the second picture. They are nearly new and functionally fine. Since the photo was taken of the bike I've located and installed stock handlebars, stock seat grab rail, and new tires. This bike also had a title problem where the VIN didn't match. We're close to having that resolved and submitted hopefully the last form to the State last week.

Last edited by WSL91; 07-17-2012, 05:10 PM.
                      1970? Honda Z50... gone
                      1974 Honda CB200... gone
                      2008 Honda VTX 1800F

Comment

Working...
                      X