Brake Pad Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Pad Problem

I just received new brake pads for the rear of the XJ this morning and went out to do the 5 minute change. I took the old ones off, pushed the plunger back in the caliper, install the new ones and now the caliper bolt will not line up with the mounting hole. Anyone ran into this or have suggestions on what to do so we can get ready for the big riding weekend?
    82 XJ1100
    Very Little that is factory left.
    Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Here are the ones I ordered and received but after looking at them and the old pads the slant on the pad is backward to what I took off of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XJ110...30006233459971
    82 XJ1100
    Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

I dont think the rear are slanted

I think only the front pads are slant cut on a special, rear are straight.

Someone who has a better memory may corrct me, but I think you got front pads or at least pads for opposite side.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I think they are slanted on the XJ John.
        Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
          I think only the front pads are slant cut on a special, rear are straight.

Someone who has a better memory may corrct me, but I think you got front pads or at least pads for opposite side.

John
          Not front pads they are made completely different I just changed them. Didn't think the 82 XJ'x came with duel brakes in the rear.
          82 XJ1100
          Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
            I think they are slanted on the XJ John.
            They are slanted but haven't figured out why they are made opposite of the factory. Everything else is identical but the slant. Any suggestions or has this seller sent me brakes for a different bike?
            82 XJ1100
            Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

You should be able to look up the part # and see if it's right. I don't know too much about XJs I just knew that little tidbit.

My guess would be you got some brake pads for the left front of an XS special.
              Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

The XJ rear caliper is basically just a slightly remachined version of the Special fronts; pads, piston, seals are the same. But the pads are side-specific, so the seller has sent you the wrong 'side'....
                Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                '82 XJ rebuild project
                '80SG restified, red SOLD
                '79F parts...
                '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
                  The XJ rear caliper is basically just a slightly remachined version of the Special fronts; pads, piston, seals are the same. But the pads are side-specific, so the seller has sent you the wrong 'side'....
                  That's what I was afraid of, guess I'll have to take it slow this weekend with no back brakes.
                  82 XJ1100
                  Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

Should the slope thats cut on them make a difference with the rear caliper. The brakes are bikemaster brakes and they swear that these work on the right rear of an 82 xj1100. I put them on there after a lot of cussing and fighting, went down the road and as I thought no brakes in the rear when pushed and they drug till they were ready to catch on fire .
                    82 XJ1100
                    Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

Keeps Getting better

I noticed today that when I went to bleed the rear brakes to try and ride this weekend with the old brake pads that the plunger in the rear master cylinder is not coming back down on its own. So I took the master off and tore it completely down cleaned it and put it back together and still no help. The rebuild kit in it is only about 6 months old. Also noticed I need a new diaphragm for the rear master lid also. Any help and suggestions on the problem would be greatly appreciated and where to locate the diaphragm to get a new one.

Thanks guys for all the help.
                      82 XJ1100
                      Large mix of XJ/XS parts

Comment

Originally posted by va_blue_stang View Post
                        Should the slope thats cut on them make a difference with the rear caliper. The brakes are bikemaster brakes and they swear that these work on the right rear of an 82 xj1100. I put them on there after a lot of cussing and fighting, went down the road and as I thought no brakes in the rear when pushed and they drug till they were ready to catch on fire .
                        When installed they should look like this. Anything else would mean they are incorrect.

2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                        X