Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to KLEEEEEEEN it!

Did a thread search, negative results.
    What products/methods do you use to clean you iron horse? Would a 50/50 pine-sol and water work effectively without damaging finishes or connections? Can I make it even stronger say 75/25? Gunk does not remove everything, I guess there's no way around having to brush/scrub certain areas.
    BAMN!

'81 XS1100H "Brutus"

I use oven cleaner for all the grimey spots, then a stong soulution of dawn and water works good for me
    _____________________________________________ 1979 XS 1100 Special "The judge" mods- K&N air pods, 4-1 mac, 147.5 pilots, 57.5 mains, LED turn signal, cafe bars, HEL translucent yellow stainless steel brake line, dyna coil (dc2-1), raptor 660 mc, r6 controls..(sold)

1982 gs1100e "all business" cafe project
    1980 gs1000g "stock"
    1982 honda express "stretched 10 inch(my daughters scooter)
    2008 jmstar 150cc Chinese scooter ( wife's bike)

Comment

I tired some 'Spray & Wash' that my wife had in the laundry room to see if it would get the oily/grimey stuff off the motor and it seemed to work pretty well. I used an old toothbrush to cut thru the layers. It probably would have been better if I had a little higher pressure in the garden hose.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

I've used the low-odor oven cleaner with good results. Don't get it on painted areas though - it will mar the finish. I recently found a good spray cleaner that really works well for the wheels, with a little scrubbing. As for regular washing though, any car wash soap will be fine. I use Maguires Gold Class Car Wash. Just make sure you seal up all oil leaks on the bike, and you won't have all that much to wash off each time. A little scrubbing will always be required though, just like on a car - a touchless carwash is never as good as a hand wash. If you use dish soap, it will strip the wax off the paint, and you'll need to re-wax each time. Car wash soaps are designed to leave the wax alone.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

I use SimpleGreen (undiluted) on the stubborn spots (followed by thorough flushing with lots of water). I'd be careful with oven cleaner, as many of those are extremely corrosive to aluminum. Even SG is hard on aluminum, don't let it dry on it.

I haven't found a 'no-touch' cleaner yet that doesn't degrade the finish on aluminum over time... no substitute for elbow grease and/or a heavy protective cover of wax..
          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
          '82 XJ rebuild project
          '80SG restified, red SOLD
          '79F parts...
          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Car wash and a warm motor. Grease is GONE
            1970? Honda Z50... gone
            1974? Yamaha 100 Enduro... gone
            1974 Honda CB200... gone
            1981 Yamaha Virago 750... gone
            1993 Honda Shadow 1100... gone
            2008 Honda VTX 1800F
            1982 Yamaha XJ1100J w/850 final, Raptor ACCT
            1979 Yamaha XS1100SF "Chewey" Raptor ACCT

http://www.johnsoldiron.com

Comment

I use a product which was invented by my stepfather and which is sold by my mother's paint and chemical company http://www.daleuk.co.uk

The product is called UK Gold and is a liquid spray which can be used neat for deep-seated grease or diluted up to 120 parts water to 1 part UK Gold for general cleaning use. I use it for everything on the bikes. It's non-corrosive, not acid or alkali, does not damage paintwork and works superbly.

I also use this product as a domestic cleaner. I've never seen anything work as well as this. You have to see it work to believe it. It makes Gunk and other products look very poor by comparison.

I can supply XSives with small bottles of this product (which can be shipped legally) which you can then dilute yourself and put into a trigger spray.
              XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Dawn and other dishwashing liquids are terrible on your paint. I used it for years and finally found that out. I have a freind that details and he told me about it, it will actually make your clear coat start to peel.
                Jeff
                77 XS750 2D completely stock
                79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Your Pin-SOL idea is the best I think.

I have a 82 Nighthawk and soaked my carb bodies in a 50/50 pine-sol solution over night to clean them when I first bought him. Have to say that worked better and faster than parts cleaner and stuff that we used on the husbands XS11 carbs when he bought her.

You can go as far as straight Pine-SOL on the really grimey parts with out worrying about any damage to seals, gaskets, or paint.

Also leaves your bike with a very nice smell when done!
                  1979 XS1100 Special - since 2008
                  1977 XS750 Special - since 1985

Comment

WD40 dissolves the grease without damage to paint, aluminum, rubber, or anything else. I spray it on the greasy spots and work with small brushes before I start washing.

MEK dissolves the boot soles melted on to your pipes. Just don't breath it or get it on your skin.
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

MEK dissolves the boot soles melted on to your pipes. Just don't breath it or get it on your skin.
                      I wander how you found that out
                      Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

Originally posted by James England View Post
                        I use a product which was invented by my stepfather and which is sold by my mother's paint and chemical company http://www.daleuk.co.uk
                        The product is called UK Gold - - -
                        Hi James,
                        if this wonder-jollop is a good as you say, I wouldn't mind compromising my principles by
                        1) actually cleaning my bike.
                        2) buying the cleaning product.
                        Is UK Gold sold in Canada?
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon View Post
                          Hi James,
                          if this wonder-jollop is a good as you say, I wouldn't mind compromising my principles by
                          1) actually cleaning my bike.
                          2) buying the cleaning product.
                          Is UK Gold sold in Canada?
                          It's UK only but I'm going to look into quantities/costs and shipping costs this week and will post back asap!
                          XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Working...
                          X