Starting in gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting in gear

Hello, I have a 1980 XS1100LG and a 1981 XS650H, and noticed that I can start the 1100 in gear and the 650 I can not, There is a switch on the 650 clutch handle but the 1100 does not, Is there someting bad and/or missing or is the 1100 is allowed to start in gear?
    I like the safty of having to be in nuteral and/or have the clutch in to start.
    Thank you for your time and response Ron

The XS11's did not have any of those safety interlock switches. You can start it in gear with the clutch out and it does not care.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I like not having the safety - may not happen often but once in a while being able to do what you want (ie assuming your not an idiot) is really nice. And honestly it only takes the bike jumping away from you once or twice to 'learn' the right habits.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

...and there have been a couple of cases of guys making it home on starter motor power when the engine quit...but not recommended.
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
          The XS11's did not have any of those safety interlock switches. You can start it in gear with the clutch out and it does not care.
          Well, not all............least 81 and later had the clutch safety switch.......
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I was working on mine in the garage and was standing beside it and hit the starter and the bike started and the floor is slick concrete so the peg stuck on my leg and the bike spun and died. I was still on the sidestand and wasnt a big deal, i could see how it could have been worse though. I do know that now i will always look for the neutral light.
            Jeff
            77 XS750 2D completely stock
            79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Well, not all............least 81 and later had the clutch safety switch.......
              Well then let's get more specific, cause isn't it only the LH that has the switch.
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

My 81H has one as well but my 80G did not.
                Richard

Comment

SH also has the switch, mine does not work, but it is there.

I was working on Steppenwolf's bike this past weekend. He has an 80. During the process, he kept "yelling" at me to ALWAYS put the bike in Neutral when parked. Now, I never do that, if nothing else, so I do not park on an incline and find my bike rolling away, off the side stand. But I did once hit the starter with it in gear.

Typically, I go through the FINE-C (Fuel, Ignition, Nuetral, Emergency stop- Choke) in my head before every first start of the day though, and if I am sitting on the bike, I always grab the clutch in before I try to start it.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

My LH has the wire, but it's never worked for me. I don't mind though. I always put the bike in neutral before killing it, so I know it's ready to start each time. I usually start the bike before getting on it too, so holding in the clutch would not be an option. I think it's only supposed to "kill" anything if the neutral light is not on though, so as long as the bike is in neutral, it's a moot point anyway.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold
                    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                      Well then let's get more specific, cause isn't it only the LH that has the switch.
                      LH,H,SH,XJ.........and likely most scoots manufactured after 1980..........
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I thought perhaps it became a NTHSA thing that all bikes had to have the Neutral safety and the side stand switch around that time frame.
                        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                          I thought perhaps it became a NHTSA thing that all bikes had to have the Neutral safety and the side stand switch around that time frame.
                          Nope, all those 'nanny' interlocks were dreamed up as 'features' by the manufacturers. The last things the feds did (other than EPA/noise stuff) was require turn signals, standardize the left-side shift, and the short-lived 85 mph speedos...
                          Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                          '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                          '82 XJ rebuild project
                          '80SG restified, red SOLD
                          '79F parts...
                          '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                          '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                          '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                          '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                          Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                          Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                          X