Trouble with New Crankshaft Seal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with New Crankshaft Seal

I removed the left side crankshaft seal on my 1980 xs1100 and got the replacement 32x48x8 (non OEM seal). i tried to put it in last night but it seemed really tight and i ended up destroying the seal trying to put it in.

Any suggestions on how to get it in?
    Should it be that tight of a fit?
    Is it the correct size for sure?

Thanks

no one has any suggestions?

Comment

How did you try to put the seal in and what do you mean when you say you "detroyed" it? What exactly did you do to put the seal in and what was the result?
      XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

Did you lube it before you tried to put it in? (Here comes the comments...)

If you destroyed it, get another one.
        '79 XS11 F
        Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
        Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
        GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

They require care and eveness to install but should go in. Make sure to clean away any remnats of the old seal from the case. I like to take a scotchbrite and WD40 and carefully polish the crankshaft surface. I also take a knife and slightly chamfer the edge of the aluminum cases that contact the outer diameter of the seal. I use a large piece of PVC pipe with gentle hammer taps to install. With gentle taps you can correct if one side is in further than the other. Its totally possible your new seal is not dimensionally correct as well.

Comment

Originally posted by a3dudek View Post
            Any suggestions on how to get it in?
            Should it be that tight of a fit?
            Ummm..........Oh...Ok.....I won't.

Seriously, though, yes it should be a tight fit, it has to seal the oil from seaping out under load. As to how to get it in, as Mr. Harrington stated, gently tap it in using some form of a "press". It has to be something just under the outer diameter of the seal, so you apply even pressure all the way around the seal.
            Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
            80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
            93 GSX600F
            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
            81 XS1100 Special
            81 CB750 C
            80 CB750 C
            78 XS750

Comment

so i for sure removed all the old seal, yes i oiled up the new seal and tried to tap it in with a mallet and piece of pipe but it seemed too tight and i could only get on end in at a time and ended up kinking one side of the seal and in the end ruining it. it seemed so tight it was kinda scrapping away material on the outer edge of the seal as i tried to tap it in. i bought the 32x48x8, is this the correct seal for an 1980? it seams like it a 32x47x8 would give me just the little bit of extra room i need while still staying tight.

Comment

If the seal gets offset in the hole, it will get tighter and may have been the problem for you. The idea of using a pipe or similar is that your povide an even force across the face of the seal so it goes in evenly.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by a3dudek View Post
                  i bought the 32x48x8, is this the correct seal for an 1980?
                  Yes it is, for the left (ignition) side.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

cool, well i got another one and am going to get a perfect pipe this weekend and give it another try. i'll let you all know how it pans out.

Comment

You may try heating the seal in a warm pan of water. If it is rubber then it may shrink some to make it easier to slip into place. I know most things expand when heated and shrink cold but rubber is different.
                      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
                      1980 G Silverbird
                      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
                      1198 Overbore kit
                      Grizzly 660 ACCT
                      Barnett Clutch Springs
                      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
                      122.5 Main Jets
                      ACCT Mod
                      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
                      Antivibe Bar ends