Need an Oil Galley Plug!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need an Oil Galley Plug!

i have a 1980 xs1100 special, looking for a replacement oil galley plug. anybody know where to get one or what size it is. Bike Bandit does not sell them. has anybody replaced these with non OEM?

Any info will help

Thanks

Some have threaded the hole and used a pipe thread plug. Depth is very crucial though because if you theard too deep you block the oil passage. Also need to be very carefully of metal shavings.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

no problems if it is shorter than the stock plug?

Comment

A few quotes from the thread from 2011

Trbig said:
        Though I don't see any problem doing it with the motor in the bike, (You aren't going to get any better access to it with the cases split) Randy is right that you have to be careful. If you pull out that galley plug and shine a flashlight in from the bottom up, you will see the hole that leades up to your crank bearings. It's in that narrower section next to where your galley plug sits against. (*Edit... Randy saw Randy just posted that pic)

Before going this route, I would try a couple different, less permanent options though. If a new O-ring won't seal it, try soaking the plug and O-ring in brake fluid overnight to swell the O-ring.

Or, get some Yamalube/Tribond and clean everything extremely well with some brake or carb cleaner. Remove the O-ring and clean down in the grooves really well. Put some Yamabond/Tribond down into the groove, then install the O-ring, then put some more of the gunk all around the plug and then around the hole in the motor where that plug sits. Spin it in your fingers for a minute or two so it doesn't drip off and skins over, then install it and let it sit there overnight. I'd then cut a small thin piece of rubber and glue it to the inside of the cover in the spot that pushes on that plug just to help push against it and hold pressure on it.
        Randy/Davinci said:
        Dug through my toolbox and the tap I bought to do the plug is a 3/4"-10. So the plug is 3/4-10. i suppose you could use any thread pitch 3/4 plug and tap combo.

Here's a shot before I tapped the motor...notice the #5 main bearing oilway...only 3/4 inch in! Go REAL slow with the tap, there's not much meat on the case there and you will crack it if you try to tap too quickly.
        Sorry, no photo, dead link!

Was thinking about this, I know they make self tapping bolts in various sizes, might find one that isn't too long, apply some JB-Weld to it, find one with a moderate sized flange/head and screw it into the hole and let the JB-weld set up overnight....after properly cleaning the hole first of course.

Sounds like you actually lost the plug...but if you still have it and it's just leaking, you can replace the O-ring with a new one!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I would NOT use a self tapping plug! To high a chance of leaving shavings in the hole.
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Which plug do you need, the left side threaded one or the right side non-threaded tapered plug?
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

i am for sure not planning on using a self taping plug, that would be my last resort if i HAD to do it.

i am looking for the the left side threaded plug, mine broke off

Comment

Pretty sure the previous posts were referring to replacing the right side plug. Somebody's got to have one for you laying around from a junk motor, a left side threaded plug.
                Last edited by bikerphil; 05-24-2012, 10:03 AM.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Does anybody have an extra from a spare parts motor? i could get one off Ebay but the are asking over $30 for them, kinda ridiculous if you ask me.

Comment

Maybe

I have a dead engine out in the mancave. Where is this plug located at on the engine. Is one side a lefthand thread and the other a right? Just asking so i don't strip the threads out removing it.
                    1979XS1100SF
                    K&N's and drilled airbox
                    Jardine 4in1
                    Dunlop Elite 3's
                    JBM slide diaphragms
                    142.5 main jets
                    45 pilot jets
                    T.C.'s fusebox & SOFA
                    750/850 FD mod.
                    XV 920 Needle Mod.
                    Mike's XS plastic floats set at 26mm
                    Venture Cam Chain Tensioner

Comment

Tim, he seems to be looking for the one under the timing cover. Threads into the block. I believe it is normal right hand threaded.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

yes, the one under the timing cover and it is a standard thread (righty tighty)

Comment

Working...
                        X