Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil pump PROBLEM???

YAMAHA XS1100SF 1979

Hi guys! I have a problem!!! Tonight I went for a ride with my fiance and As soon as I left the parking lot my RED light came on. Under 2000rpm no problem but at 3000 the light is very bright. I checked my oil level and it's a the upper line. what should I look at first? Is there a oil pressure switch or only a oil level switch... Could it be my filter or the oil itself. I ran less than 5000Km last summer and tonight would have been my first ride of the season. So I didn't change filter and oil yet. Or should I expect my pump to be broken...

Help me please!!!!

Pull the sensor and see if it is gummed up and stir connected well.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Its a 79

79s have that bulb checker built into the oil light. Look for a burned bulb.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

I would suspect that the oil light sending unit may have failed. It could also be an issue with your taillight; the '79 Special has a 'light checker' that turns on the oil light if the taillight isn't working. It might be a vibration/connection problem at a certain RPM... things to look at...
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I looked if the pressure switch wire was well connected and yes it is.

all my signals and tailight are ok.

The more the RPM goes up the more the RED light get bright...

:S

Comment

The light only gets brighter because the charging is increasing with RPMs. Have you changed your oil lately? any metal in the old oil? How long between oil changes? If the oil gets nasty or metal is wearing it can clog the oil pump screen
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

ground?

Check taillight ground is really good by checking resistance to ground wire - seems someone in past cured a tallight checker annoying oil light by replacing what seemed to be a good bulb with a new one and problem went away. At least its cheap enough.

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

If the tail light is good go ahead and change the sensor it could be bad. Also, first be certain the wire running to it isn't grounding somewhere. It runs in under the starter and up behind the fuse panel. I've had that happen also.
                Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

I would bet on the LCU (light checker unit) is causing the problem. First try twisting the wires where they go into the unit and see if the light goes off. Then you can try bypassing the unit by unplugging it and connect blu and blu/yel together at the harness plug. The LCU is under the left side cover towards the front. Let us know what you find.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
                  X