2nd gear curiosity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gear curiosity

I have a new drivetrain curiosity I'm wondering about.

When I WOT in 2nd gear, around 7K I sometimes feel what is almost like a single skip in the gears but it does not kick out of gear and continues on. There is no grinding sound and no hard jarring sensation. No hint of anything unless I'm at WOT and only at the higher RPMs, just about where I'm about to shift before the red line.

I've read about the 2nd gear issue where it kicks out of gear but this doesn't happen. I was getting slipping in 3rd but Barnett clutch springs apparently resolved that issue.

After all the effort in getting this bike back to good condition including putting in new rings, I really don't want to have to open it up & work on the engine so soon again. Ugh...

Idears?
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

I was going to say maybe slipping clutches but you but the springs in. Thats what i would think though. I am going to have to put the springs in also cause i slip at WOT in 3rd, 4th and maybe more just havent hit wot in others.
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Thats the way my son's XS started only slipping when WOT in first. At first it felt like a cluch slip then got worse with use (he was a little heavy on the wrist). My wife's XJ1100 will not stay in second at all. I am ridding it while fixing my Venture I just shift past second gear, I will be fixing it as soon as I get a free weekend. I will probably do both XJs at the same time.
      Ty

78 XS1100E - Now in Minnesota
      80 XS1100LG - The Punisher
      82 XJ1100 - Current project - The Twins
      82 XJ1100 - Wife's Bike - The Twins
      82 XJ1100 - Daughter's Bike
      72 Suzuki TS125 - Daughter's Bike
      72 Yamaha Mini JT2 - Youngest Daughter's bike (She wants a bigger one now)

Comment

Interesting.

I'm not feeling like this is a clutch slip nor does it at this point give any indication of kicking out of gear. It normally does make a clunk when shifting into 2nd but it's much louder going into first when downshifting. 5th has little or no clunk. If there's any analogy between a slipping clutch and this, it would be as if for a tiny fraction of a second there was a slip, so brief you couldn't mentally time it and then it would instantly grab 100% and keep going under WOT. All you feel is a slight hesitation and then continuation of the acceleration in 2nd.

I've never felt any inkling of it wanting to slip out of gear to above or lower gears or into neutral.
        82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

When you hit the right combination of dogs & slots, the dogs pop into the next slots. The 2nd gear fix is in your future.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
            When you hit the right combination of dogs & slots, the dogs pop into the next slots. The 2nd gear fix is in your future.
            +1, rest assured.......
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

As they said. I don't know where you saw someone write that it kicks it out of gear.. the gear just jumps from one tooth to the next and keeps going. Each time it jumps, it rounds the dogs a little more and will start happening with less and less power applied until it won't hold any power at all.

The sooner you get into it, the less the gears are messed up and the less material you'll have to take off when grinding. If you're fairly easy on it and don't get on it to where it skips, then it will last until you get ready to do it... but it's hard to stay off the throttle on these bikes.
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Crap, it does sound like the 2nd gear issue then. I'm reluctant to do it on my own, I'd rather do it with someone who knows the way and can help me do it right. Can't afford to take it to a shop to fix and I don't know anyone in New England who is familiar with it.

& I was just thinking I was more than 95% done with everything I need to do with it. Now this...

It doesn't look like it's a terrible job and probably can be knocked out in a few short hours if you know what to do. But since I don't know the little details, that's the issue...

Comment

Don't get too upset just yet. It sounds like you got plenty of time left until it's absolutly needed. Go a little easier on it while going thru 2nd gear and it should last you a long time. At least long enough until you can find a fellow XSive in the New England area that may have already done this and can offer you some help.
                  Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
                  The Green Monster
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
                  Got him in '04.
                  bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
                  Scarlet
                  K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
                  Got her in '11
                  Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
                  Hugo
                  Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
                  Cold weather ride

Comment

Yes, true enough. I've already figured that's what I need to do, I've done like so many of us & put in hundreds of hours into the bike I just want to be done with everything but regular maintenance. Have two new tires coming tomorrow and that was I thought the last of anything that required serious wrenching. Heck, I could have done this last year when I replaced the rings if it would have showed up back then but no... I've never hard shifted it once in the two years I've owned it.

I was so happy that with all the BS the PO left for me to find & repair, that I didn't have any transmission issues.

I knew I shouldn't have done that happy dance...

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
                      I've never hard shifted it once in the two years I've owned it.

I knew I shouldn't have done that happy dance...
                      That may be your problem, You need to shift these things like you mean it. Up and down. A tentative tap with the toe, is not the way to go.
                      Russion tractor characteristics require Russion farmer methods. ie, a big boot. CZ

Comment

Yamaha sure did drop the ball with the amount of dog engagement (lack of). Ironically on the XS750s second gear is accessible by removing some left side engine covers. Sooooooo easy to get to on that model. Took me about 11 minutes to do the washer swap on my old 750.

Comment

Working...
                        X