No announcement yet.

Tank and Side Cover Emblem Restoration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like your brass one, but honestly don't think your original one looked all that bad......

Well here is todays progress on the emblems.... they have a few flaws but those can be touched up easily enough.

<<click thumbnails for larger view>>

1979 XS1100 Special - since 2008
    1977 XS750 Special - since 1985

Comment

Nice!

Very nice work, those look great!
      1979 XS110F, Stock
      1980 XS1100G, Mostly Stock, gifted to my son.
      2000 YZ 250, Sold
      2002 YZ125, Sold
      2009 Royal Star Venture
      '94 Pontiac Trans Am, 25th Anniversary, For Sale

Ernie

Comment

Thanks!

There are a few touch-ups to be done, then on to clear coating and putting them back on the bike.

I filled the back of the tank emblems with epoxy putty to stabilize the 30+ year old cracked, aged plastic. Was wondering if I should put something behind them when re installing them so as not to scratch the tank....

Any ideas or suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by zookey View Post
          I like your brass one, but honestly don't think your original one looked all that bad......
          That OEM badge is off a spare cover, the ones from the bike were shot. I honestly like the brass look better than the gold chrome look. Plus my bike is far from a restoration, more like a resurrection.

Your badges look great Zookey. As for what to put behind the badge, I wouldn't worry about it. Nothing will show behind the badge. Otherwise, you could put a small piece of foam two sided tape back there. You can get it at any hardware store.
          1979 Yamaha XS1100SF (gone)
          Airbox w/K&N element
          Jardine 4 into 1
          145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
          1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
          1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Acrylic or Enamel Clear Coat

I do like the brass color too..... husband prefers the gold tone though.

I was thinking maybe putting a small piece of felt behind the badges just to keep that epoxy putty from scratching the paint, husband thinks that the felt will get wet and hold the water on the tank though. The double sided foam tape might be a good idea if I can find it in black.

Thanks for the idea!

One other question for you all.....

To clear coat these when the touch ups are done. The gold leaf says to spray it with Clear Acrylic paint to avoid the gold from tarnishing. I have enamel clear coat and was wondering if it would really make a difference or should I pick up some Acrylic Clear Coat? Not sure if there would be any kind of reaction (undesirable) between the gold and the Enamel....??

Comment

Others can better answer the clear coat question, but the foam tape won't show behind the badge.

I supposed electrical tape would work as well.
              Last edited by EricHa; 05-23-2012, 01:24 PM.
              Airbox w/K&N element
              Jardine 4 into 1
              145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
              1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
              1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

I have ruined the paint on a badge before by applying a non-compatible clear coat over the paint. Test their compatibility before doing the actual finished badge.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

excellent work on the badges zookey. I definately think the way to go is black then paint the letters now. Did you brush the letters or paint stick? I am thinking of redoing mine again but I want them chrome instead of the gold. Just don't think the gold goes with anything on the bike. My brother is blasting my tank tomorrow so when I get home from this out of town job I will be able to paint it this weekend. Can't wait. Its pretty much the only thing left I have to paint. Pretty excited to get her all put together and see what she looks like. I took a 79F and am doing gloss black with chrome emblems.

BTW...I like the rubber ball idea in the gas tank opening. Brilliant!
                  1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
                  1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
                  1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

I'm soon going to begin blacksmithing as a hobby and the first thought I had was to forge a couple of badges to replace the emblems on my side covers. I was thinking 'XS' or euro-style '1.1' or something along those lines.

I think some clearcoated hand forged steel would make the bike have a bit more of a raw look.
                    1990 Ninja ZX-10. It's the Silver Surfer. HI-YA!!

2006 Yamaha XT-225. Yep, I take it on the interstate. It's Blue Butt.

1982 Toyota 4x4. 22R Cammed, 38/38, 2" pipe, 20R head with OS valves, performance grind and other fun stuff. It's Blue RASPberry.

1969 Ford F-250 Camper Special resto project. 390 RV cam, Demon carb, Sanderson headers, 2 and a quarter pipes with Magnaflow mufflers. It's Blue Jay.

Comment

Or something like this...........

Airbox w/K&N element
                      Jardine 4 into 1
                      145 mains, 45 pilots

1996 Ducati 900SS CR
                      1977 Kawasaki KZ900-A5
                      1975 Honda CB550K

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
                        I have ruined the paint on a badge before by applying a non-compatible clear coat over the paint. Test their compatibility before doing the actual finished badge.
                        I can totally appreciate that!! Painted our bed frame (old steal bed) all shiny chrome about 15 years ago.... FIL suggested that I clear coat it to help preserve the paint job..... Using the same paint from the same company it reversed my Chrome to end up looking like a shiny primer grey color. Yes that was very aggravating.... to say the least.

I used a cap off of a grease tube to pour my gold leaf paint into for dipping my brush..... Might have to take that out to "Clear Coat" first, just to see what the reaction will be before I "endanger" my emblems.....

Originally posted by Lbrown311
                        excellent work on the badges zookey. I definately think the way to go is black then paint the letters now. Did you brush the letters or paint stick? I am thinking of redoing mine again but I want them chrome instead of the gold........

BTW...I like the rubber ball idea in the gas tank opening. Brilliant!
                        I painted the letters with gold leaf and a foam brush. I bought both at ACE hardware. If I were to do it over again I would get a "test paint kit" that I saw at ACE.... it contained a foam brush, a paint pan, and a very small paint roller. I think the roller would leave less paint getting into the grooves and need touching up. I did learn that if you have a tooth pick handy while painting and if you get paint in the crevices you can pick it out quickly and do little damage to your black. ACE also has Silver Leaf as well as gold and copper..... I would definitely suggest using one of these paints. Cost here was $5.45 for the gold leaf and you will have enough to paint A LOT of these.

OH and heads up on the rubber ball idea....... Make sure not to put too much pressure on the ball while it is in the filler opening. The filler hole has a "lip" that sticks down into the tank about 3/4 of an inch and makes ball retrieval next to impossible. Learned this the hard way.... so suggest pushing a chunk of wire all the way though the balls center to prevent accidentally knocking ball into the tank.

Comment

OH and heads up on the rubber ball idea....... Make sure not to put too much pressure on the ball while it is in the filler opening. The filler hole has a "lip" that sticks down into the tank about 3/4 of an inch and makes ball retrieval next to impossible.
                          My local Ace Hardware has rubber plugs that fit the tank filler. It looks a bit like a big wine cork, but tapered.
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

I thought about a rubber plug but all that I found were just not big enough for the filler hole..... with a bump they would have fallen in too.... that is when I went to the rubber ball. Honestly am not sure how the one got into the tank, but sure was a challenge getting it back out!

Comment

I just repainted a couple of badges. Here is what I did.

The stuff.

Ugly badges.

Resurfaced with 400 grit sandpaper after mending cracks with Super Glue.

Plastic primer

Satin black

Paint applied with gold leafing pen

Sprayed clear

Someone with more patience and a steadier hand can achieve better results than I did.

The cost of materials to do this job was over $30 and I have enough stuff to do a box full of badges. Bottom line, buy new badges. These look OK if new is not an option. These came off an XS11 for which reproductions are not available. I'm pleased with the results considering my complete lack of patience and unsteady hand. I'll try to get my daughter to do the next pair.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Hi Marty,
                                Looks pretty nice to me.
                                Phil
                                1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)