What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

I was looking through the toolkit that came with the bike and found a plastic "thing" ======||=== < that shape.
    What's it for ?

Tool

Its the tool used to measure the fluid level in your middle ( short side) and final drive ( long side ) OR rear end fluid if you perfer...............................MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Re: Tool

I beg to differ... Here is a quato from the maintenance section of this web site:

The Official Yamaha (TM) stick is put together as follows. The short end is for measuring REAR drive, and the long end is for measuring the MIDDLE drive. The two horizontal lines at each end indicate the low and and high range for oil.

Originally posted by mitch
      Its the tool used to measure the fluid level in your middle ( short side) and final drive ( long side ) OR rear end fluid if you perfer...............................MITCH
      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

Re: Re: Tool

I meant "quote" not "quato"!

Originally posted by skids
        I beg to differ... Here is a quato from the maintenance section of this web site:

The Official Yamaha (TM) stick is put together as follows. The short end is for measuring REAR drive, and the long end is for measuring the MIDDLE drive. The two horizontal lines at each end indicate the low and and high range for oil.

Skids (Sid Hansen)

Down to one 1978 E. Stock air box with K&N filter, 81H pipes and carbs, 8500 feet elevation.

Comment

OK

I stand corrected Skids is right sorry about that but at least i knew what it was . Ha Ha!!....MITCH
          Doug Mitchell
          82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

Dips......

Mitch, I was gonna call ya on that one. I can't even get my final drive to take what the manual says is proper mount of gear oil. 10 oz. according to Clymers. Is that actually the correct amount? Most everybody here has a name for their bikes, do you guys in snow country have names for your snowblowers too?

Comment

the correct amount for the final drive is 0.36 lit (10/11 us/imp fl oz)
              as the haynes manual says.

Comment

Snowblowers

I call mine@#$&^%$#*&#@ when it wont start does that count....MITCH
                Doug Mitchell
                82 XJ1100 sold

Comment

you guys in snow country have names for your snowblowers too?
                  I call mine "Monica"......
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I call mine dick, cause every day I use it I peter out......
                    Marty in NW PA
                    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                    This IS my happy face.

Comment

Re: Dips......

John, I wonder if there is a build-up of sludge in there? I have a model E that had a chalky or muddy looking sludge that came out when I changed it the first time (I am not the original owner).

Originally posted by John
                      Mitch, I was gonna call ya on that one. I can't even get my final drive to take what the manual says is proper mount of gear oil. 10 oz. according to Clymers. Is that actually the correct amount? Most everybody here has a name for their bikes, do you guys in snow country have names for your snowblowers too?
                      Skids (Sid Hansen)

Comment

Gear oil

Skids, that's a good idea, sludge in the final drive. I hadn't thought of that, but if there were a build up, don't you think the drain hole would be covered by the sludge, and not drain out? I've always been able to drain the oil without having to clear the drain hole. I've had the bike since '90, and I change it yearly. A few years ago I started using synthetic gear oil in the middle and and final drives. The only problem with the synthetics, are it will seep out around the the threads of the fill and drain plugs, and past the gasket under the heads of the plugs, leaving an oily area around the fill plug. Other than that they work great. Much eaasier to to use than regular 80W-140 or 90 weight. I used to heat the bottle of gear oil up in a hot water bath, just like warming a baby bottle, and then it would pour much easier.

Comment

toolkits

since they seem to be impossible to find, does anyone know how to make this dipstick, I've owned the bike for 2 years and never been able to check the middle and final drive oils

Comment

Yamaha part number is 2N7-2815A-00-00 Gauge, oil level

Your local dealer should be able to get you one. Price is in the $4 - $5 range.
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.

Comment

Sorry, fat fingers.....number is 2H7-2815A-00-00. Local dealer has them in stock for $3.85 plus tax.
                              Jerry Fields
                              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                              '06 Concours
                              My Galleries Page.
                              My Blog Page.

Comment

Working...
                              X