X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear brake alinement

just put new tires on my 79F and I have a concern about the rear caliper
    rotor alinement , I reversed the taking apart and didn't notice if it was
    like that then I took it apart, the rotor is not centered its way over allmost
    touching the caliper housing , seems to roll O K , but doesn't brake like it did
    question is How do you center the rotor in the caliper housing ? Got a
    double ben franklin next week end andv don't want to ride it that far less its O K Thanks Troups !
    Last edited by Iron Duke; 05-18-2012, 01:15 AM.

There really is not much to change alignment on rear brakes. If all spacers are in place and the front gromet on the torque plate is in good shape the caliper assembly should position itself with proper clearance. As long as there is clearance so the caliper does not ever rub the rotor the pads will self positon as their position floats. The caliper slides back and forth on bolts that should be clean and lubed this will position the caliper with proper clearance. If this is sticking one brake shoe may be putting force on one side of the rotor instead of both pads pinching the rotor between and braking will be very different. You may also want to clean the rotor with brake cleaner and make sure no grease got on the pads when changing the tire.
    To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
    1980 G Silverbird
    Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
    1198 Overbore kit
    Grizzly 660 ACCT
    Barnett Clutch Springs
    R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
    122.5 Main Jets
    ACCT Mod
    Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
    Antivibe Bar ends
    Rear trunk add-on
    http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

+1 on the spacer and check your torque on the castle nut
      91 kwaka kz1000p
      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

rear caliper piston

new problem , I think ? could not get rear piston to recide into the
        caliper housing , could it be froze , very little brake , I ordered a new
        piston 38 mm by 41.25 mm Can some one tell me if this is right,
        or should the piston be the taller one , Have other kits to finish on
        way from georgefix , this on a 79 f standard going for complete rebuild , piston , and the kit , master
        cylinder rebuild , will do a complete tear down , and rework
        Some body give me some in put , have I done right Thanks Iron

Comment

According to the HV site, 38mmOD x 41.25mm tall. This would be for the front and rear Standard calipers 78-81 and also the rear Special calipers, all 79-81 except 81 MNS.

http://www.hvccycle.com/brake-caliper-pistons.html
          Last edited by bikerphil; 05-26-2012, 07:18 PM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

rear brakes

O K Guys Thanks for the Info I think i can
            get er done Thanks again Iron

Comment

Did you take the caliper apart and clean it? Very few folks end up needing new pistons. How did you try pushimg the piston in?
              "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
              1981 LH

Comment

The Standard I believe has a couple spacers involved. One that is on the dust cover for the wheel bearing and another that goes into the mix with the brake caliper plate, and torque plate. If you got the spacer in the wrong position, or the torque plate on the wrong side fo the caliper plate it could throw the alignment off.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                  Did you take the caliper apart and clean it? Very few folks end up needing new pistons. How did you try pushimg the piston in?
                  Used extra large (20") water pump pliers , when all parts get here I will
                  use Air and if that don't do it I try the grease gun
                  tried compressing , nothing but when i push the brake peddle down
                  it moves out maybe an 1/8 of an inch , . i slipped new EBC FA 34s on
                  but then I could not get the pads down over the rotor , so Im thinking
                  the piston has to recede in to the caliper more , just a little would be
                  enough Thanks dpotter
                  Last edited by Iron Duke; 05-29-2012, 08:36 PM. Reason: misspilling

Comment

You need to go ahead and pump that piston all the way out with the master cyinder and clean out the caliper or you'll have rear brakes locking up.
                    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Originally posted by DGXSER View Post
                      The Standard I believe has a couple spacers involved. One that is on the dust cover for the wheel bearing and another that goes into the mix with the brake caliper plate, and torque plate. If you got the spacer in the wrong position, or the torque plate on the wrong side fo the caliper plate it could throw the alignment off.
                      I'll be checking that out Thanks DGXSER

Comment

Originally posted by BA80 View Post
                        You need to go ahead and pump that piston all the way out with the master cyinder and clean out the caliper or you'll have rear brakes locking up.
                        For sure don't want that I use the backs Lots more than the fronts
                        so as parts arive I'll be doing a complete cleaning and rebuild
                        Thanks BA80

Comment

Working...
                        X