#*@! Middle drive fill bolt

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BobBaldy
    replied
    Thanks for all the moral support guys.
    After another day soaking in PB Blaster I was able to get the plug out using name brand Vise Grips and a bit of luck. Of course I stripped the allen head part of it first before getting out the Vise Grips but it dosen't matter because I'm taking everyone's advise and putting a 6 point back on it.
    Somthing I always do when replacing a bolt is to run a nut down both the old and new bolts to make sure the thread pitch is right. They almost always stock nuts for the bolts they sell, so that's an easy way to check before going to the register.

    Leave a comment:


  • motoman
    replied
    Originally posted by CatatonicBug
    IIRC, it's a 14mm. Same exact threads as a spark plug. Not sure of the pitch though.
    That's the correct size.......thinkin' the pitch is 1.25 but not sure. Ace or True Valu has the drain plugs that replace those POS alen plugs. They come in stainless. Easy way to get original out is take a sharp chisel and make a straight on notch in side of plug base. Then angle your chisel a bit in that cut and pop the chisel right smartly with a hammer. In the trays right next to the hex plugs are the sealing washers. They are a thick fiber material. Use one on the middle drive fill plug and two on the final drive fill plug. Two on the rear plug so the shoulder of it is above the recess in the casting........lefty loosy.....righty tighty......

    Leave a comment:


  • CatatonicBug
    replied
    Originally posted by jayel
    which brings up the question of what size and pitch is the plug?
    IIRC, it's a 14mm. Same exact threads as a spark plug. Not sure of the pitch though.

    Leave a comment:


  • jayel
    replied
    Originally posted by natemoen
    Buy a hex head plug and put the crush washer on it. Don't reuse that POS plug.
    Originally posted by CatatonicBug
    If you don't mind the look of having a hex head bolt there, you can get them at Autozone in many shapes and sizes. Just put some anti-sieze on the threads next time, just like you put on the spark plugs.
    which brings up the question of what size and pitch is the plug?

    Leave a comment:


  • CatatonicBug
    replied
    If you don't mind the look of having a hex head bolt there, you can get them at Autozone in many shapes and sizes. Just put some anti-sieze on the threads next time, just like you put on the spark plugs.

    Leave a comment:


  • natemoen
    replied
    Buy a hex head plug and put the crush washer on it. Don't reuse that POS plug.

    Leave a comment:


  • WMarshy
    replied
    It's a right hand thread, just has good Zen with the housing. Go get some allen sockets and put an impact on that thing. Make sure the allen is all the way to the bottom, stripping it will only make it more difficult.

    When you put the plug back in, put a plastic or aluminum crush washer under the plug. This will help you get it off in the future. Also, use the proper torque when putting it back on. They seem to self tighten due to the difference in material. Good luck!

    Leave a comment:


  • jwhughes3
    replied
    Yes regular thread

    Try these tips...



    John

    Leave a comment:


  • BobBaldy
    started a topic #*@! Middle drive fill bolt

    #*@! Middle drive fill bolt

    I'm glad I read somewhere on this site to pull the fill screws before you drain the middle drive or rear. I've tried PB Blaster, a 1500 watt heat gun and a foot long box wrench on the end of a 6mm allen and nothing works. Before I buy some allen sockets for my impact gun I have one question. Is the fill screw a normal lefty loosey or am I going at it the wrong direction? I need to know before I attack it with an air tool.
Working...