Black Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Box

I know sooner or later one of the black box on a xs will go out.What I want to know can they be rebuilt or replaced by something after market?Mean question but surely something is out there that will work,either same or better than stock.Something to ponder because its just a matter of time.
    Bill Harvell

not sure if they can be rebuilt, but I found out 2 years ago there are no aftermarket options.

There are plenty of used ones out there, I called the nearest used parts shop to me and they had 3 of them laying around. Many of the members of this board have extra ones as well (including me...turned out it wasn't the problem).

If you ever need one, check the board classifieds, post a message here, check e-bay, check your salvage yards...you'll find what you need.
    Dan
    1980 XS11 Special

Comment

Hi Bill,
      I have to say that the chances aren't good for repairing one. Unless one could get their hands on a schematic of the circuit board, and then accurately interperate it, it's pretty hard to troubleshoot. I would say you could get a used one cheaper than having someone "shotgun" it. I don't know exactly what components are in there, resistors, diodes, and caps are easy enough to test. But knowing Yamaha, there are probably a few chips in there to make it a challenge.
      Matt

'
      1980sg-Stocker-- Sold
      1980sg- Cruise Missile- Sold to RODS454
      1990 ATK 604- Ditch Digger
      2005 BMW K1200S- Killer Bee
      2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000- trackbike

Comment

Used black boxes can still be had for now, but still in the long run something else has to be found that will work.This stuff is over my head so bare with me if I goof.Seems like a box that controls the fireing on a 4 cylinder engine should work or replace the whole thing,pickups and all with one that replaces a point type with pointless.Have seen them in catologs either for a 4 cylinder bike engine or a car or truck of the same number of cylinders.The fireing order is the same.The 2 outer cylinders rise and fall together,same as for 2 inner ones.1-4-2-3. Something will show itself.
        Bill Harvell

Comment

cdi box

I had an old one apart off my 79 and took it to a friend who knows a bit about them....pretty much have to unsolder the entire board and test each component....mostly resistors and rectifiers and diodes.....

I found 2 on ebay, one for $38 US that works and another I'm waiting on for $26.50Us as a spare.

As far as repairing them it could be done but would be cheaper to buy a second hand one with a guarantee.

Bruce
          78 xs1100 Alpha
          79 xs1100
          Bruce Doucette
          Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Re: cdi box

Originally posted by desert1
            I had an old one apart off my 79 and took it to a friend who knows a bit about them....pretty much have to unsolder the entire board and test each component....mostly resistors and rectifiers and diodes.....

I found 2 on ebay, one for $38 US that works and another I'm waiting on for $26.50Us as a spare.

As far as repairing them it could be done but would be cheaper to buy a second hand one with a guarantee.

Bruce
            78 xs1100 Alpha
            79 xs1100
            Hard to beat that with a guarantee.
            Bill Harvell

Comment

refund

Hi WildBill...yeah fellow said on ebay, ifin it dont work said it back for a refund, so as soon as it arrived i tried it in my 78 and she fired right up and the test numbers matched the numbers for the one I run in the 78 as well....

The 79 I bought as a parts bike had one in it that was toast so thats where the ebay CDI box is destined for to see if the 79 will run.

Bruce
              Bruce Doucette
              Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Most places don`t give a refund on electical parts.I sent a e-mail to dyna for information concerning replacing black box.Changing the subject some,have any of you tried any nology products.They make some high end plugs wires that have caps. in the wires,supposed to boost the spark at the plugs.Worth thinking about.The address is: www.nology.com Will let you know what I find out.
                Bill Harvell

Comment

Originally posted by wildbill
                  Most places don`t give a refund on electical parts.I sent a e-mail to dyna for information concerning replacing black box.Changing the subject some,have any of you tried any nology products.They make some high end plugs wires that have caps. in the wires,supposed to boost the spark at the plugs.Worth thinking about.The address is: www.nology.com Will let you know what I find out.
                  I just bought a set of Nology coils for my Triumph....they come highly recommened by the Triumph Tropy gang.

Also I have seen an XS11 that used an aftermarket system, no manufactuers make one, but I am pretty sure you could take an existing kit and modify it to work on an XS. You would just have to Mount the kits pickup coils on the XS mounting plate. Harley Dave (rainbow shooter) wanted to get an old box from somebody so he could make up a replacement, or try the aftermarket route. Did anybody send him one?
                  Gary Granger
                  Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                  2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Nology,I discovered them on a different website.They are also in a catolog I have,was mainly interested in the plug wires didn`t know about the coils.Do they make coils for a 4 cylinder bike? I figure if you going to wish,wish big.I think if somebody had to a after market kit could be made to work.Its nice to know that it could be done. Would be a good way to fix weak sparks and other problems
                    Bill Harvell

Comment

Originally posted by wildbill
                      Nology,I discovered them on a different website.They are also in a catolog I have,was mainly interested in the plug wires didn`t know about the coils.Do they make coils for a 4 cylinder bike? I figure if you going to wish,wish big.I think if somebody had to a after market kit could be made to work.Its nice to know that it could be done. Would be a good way to fix weak sparks and other problems
                      I checked their website,they make a dual coil and as far as I know the plugwires they sell for a FJ 1100 or 1200 should work.The only downside about them is that they come with a heavy price tag.Sounds like a real good outfit.I might later get a wildhair and do some serious upgrading.Who knows?
                      Bill Harvell

Comment

Working...
                      X