Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Question

Hey Fella's

Seat question... I want to put a new seat on "Old Man" heres my question. Being as it has a standard tank on it, would I need a seat for a standard? wouldn't a Special seat ride up to far on the tank and not seat on the front well? I have no Idea what model the seat that is on it is from. Dad bought it 20 years ago and has been gone for almost 10... heres a couple pics of the seat thats on it... I'm looking for more of a double bucket style to put on it. similar to whats on it but with more of a butt locator in it to keep the wife in place better and better cheek pads.
    Thanks

Don
    1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
    1989 kawi ex500
    1996 yzf-r6
    1999 yzf-r1
    2001 kawi zx-6r
    2000 Ducati 748
    2002 YZF-R1
    2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Saddlemens' is about the only supplier out there that still sells more than just a replacement cover for these, so that's who you need to talk to. Unless you're planning on going to one of the 'custom' seat guys that will build something on your pan.

Saddlemans' does still sell a complete, new 'double bucket' type seat for the '79 Special (pan, foam, cover; you have to reuse your hardware), but I'm sure it is designed to be used with the stock tank. But you might be able to have them alter it, be worth a call. They also sell new 'bucket' foam/cover sets for some of the other models, but you need to furnish the pan.

From looking at what you have, I'd say that's a Special seat (looking at it's length), maybe your dad had the front modded to fit the tank.
    Last edited by crazy steve; 05-13-2012, 10:08 PM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

I seen my Mom yesterday and she said he had ordered it before their last trip to Yellowstone in like 88.... that's all she knew. So basically I came out of the conversion no smarter than I went in. I put the sheep skin cover on it today for our beach run. Helped a little. I'm gonna go pick up one of those ATV comfort cushions this week and try it out. The seat is still in awesome shape... I'd just like to get a little more comfort in the area of my non-existent ass and make the wife a little more comfortable behind me. I've looked into a Saddlemen double bucket. for the $182 they are a nice seat. But I'd hate to drop that kind of coin and get it in UPS and its no better than what I got. Arg!

I guess the next step would be to call Diamond and price a custom seat
      Don
      1979 XS1100SF "Old Man" bought by my Dad brand new in 79, customized in 80 with Vetter, Standard tank, and touring seat. I inherited in 02 when Dad passed. Been riding it since 09. No resto, bike is a survivor...

2007 RoadStar 1700 Midnight Silverado "The Black Pearl" Cobra Slash-downs, K&N filter. More mods to come

old:
      1989 kawi ex500
      1996 yzf-r6
      1999 yzf-r1
      2001 kawi zx-6r
      2000 Ducati 748
      2002 YZF-R1
      2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

Generally the foam goes bad with age; my '78E had the best seat bar none I've ever sat on when I got it brand new. You could ride all day on it and never get a sore butt. But about 5 years in, the foam changed and it went to crap, I replaced it with a Corbin touring seat for distance riding. But these days your options are very limited....
        Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
        '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
        '82 XJ rebuild project
        '80SG restified, red SOLD
        '79F parts...
        '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
        '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
        '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
        '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
        Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
        Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Originally posted by crazy steve View Post
          Generally the foam goes bad with age; my '78E had the best seat bar none I've ever sat on when I got it brand new. You could ride all day on it and never get a sore butt. But about 5 years in, the foam changed and it went to crap, I replaced it with a Corbin touring seat for distance riding. But these days your options are very limited....
          I've thought about having the seat re-foamed... but that would mean I would have to not ride it for however long it takes for the shop to do it... maybe a good winter project
          Don

old:
          1989 kawi ex500
          1996 yzf-r6
          1999 yzf-r1
          2001 kawi zx-6r
          2000 Ducati 748
          2002 YZF-R1
          2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

You Mean Like This One???

You just missed this one...but I'll keep an eye out for another one like it

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36377
            Current Rides:
            02 GL1800 Wing
            79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
            81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

Originally posted by tv5150 View Post
              You just missed this one...but I'll keep an eye out for another one like it

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36377
              I didn't miss anything... I watched it on Ebay. I can buy a BRAND NEW Saddlemen off the net for $182 and free shipping. I'm not going to pay that much for a 20 year old used seat. I'm happy a fellow member sold something he wasn't using and got a little money out of it... But for the extra 40 or 50 bucks I'll buy a brand new one thanks... I'd hate to drop $100+ on a used seat, get it home and have to have it refurbished... then I'd be going backwards.

Thanks for looking out for me thou TV if you see anything else please shoot it my way. As of right now I'm gonna try a seat cover, if I got the funds before my trip next month I may just order up the Saddlemen seat.
              Don

old:
              1989 kawi ex500
              1996 yzf-r6
              1999 yzf-r1
              2001 kawi zx-6r
              2000 Ducati 748
              2002 YZF-R1
              2005 V-Star 1100 Classic

Comment

i had gel implant put in my seat kinda helps ,, but i hear the way to go is memory foam any big bike show has a guy that will do it on the spot for 40 or 50 bucks,,ride safe ,,slow mo!
                The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                moemcnally@hotmail.com
                i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Working...
                X